What's new

Any Love For Colonel Conk?

Conk's glycerin soaps are ok, I used them several years ago.
good for the price.
but easily eclipsed by so many others nowadays!
however, i love his pewter shave mug, a mainstay on my den countertop!
$arlington kai keyhole feb 26 2014.jpg

Col Conk was my 2nd or 3rd soap i bought years back. BAY RUM! I loved the scent :) i liked the perfomance back then, but it's funny you post this because only the other day i dug up my container that i had melted it into, and had a shave with it. I still really like that Bay Rum scent. Its was an Ok performed. Not bad at all, but better can be had for the same/similar price.

Whatever works for you though!

Thats a coincidence... just shaved with the Almond today. Great shave, good performance, good scent... not much that I can say against it. Good soap and still in my den. It was my first soap. Its what got it started....:laugh:

It's better than Van Der Haagen for sure. A bit more difficult bto lather. I like the Bay Rum scent. It's about the same as Maggard Platinum Tabaco and Leather as for slickness and lather.

Much better than Herban Cowboy which won't lather the hair on my chest in a shower.

Infinitely better than Montana Natural.

Creamo is better if you don't lather it.

Those are all I have tried.

As of my lathering skill level right now - I would put CC Amber at the top of my list of best performing soaps. Granted, I haven't tried a bunch of different stuff yet.

I can build an amazing explosion of lather with my newly acquired Proraso red and whites, but for whatever reason I just can't get a comfortable shave with them. It's like my face doesn't accept these lathers for some reason. It doesn't make sense and I hate the feeling that I wasted money because I really thought they would be good.

However I get an incredible shave with the CC Amber - the other 3 in the CC sampler (Almond, Bay Rum, Lime) not so much.

This is just one newbie's experience so far...so take it for what it's worth.

As of my lathering skill level right now - I would put CC Amber at the top of my list of best performing soaps. Granted, I haven't tried a bunch of different stuff yet.

I can build an amazing explosion of lather with my newly acquired Proraso red and whites, but for whatever reason I just can't get a comfortable shave with them. It's like my face doesn't accept these lathers for some reason. It doesn't make sense and I hate the feeling that I wasted money because I really thought they would be good.

However I get an incredible shave with the CC Amber - the other 3 in the CC sampler (Almond, Bay Rum, Lime) not so much.

This is just one newbie's experience so far...so take it for what it's worth.
Is the Amber slicker? What is your comparison with the Bay Rum? I got Bay Rum because it smells better to my nose.

Is the Amber slicker? What is your comparison with the Bay Rum? I got Bay Rum because it smells better to my nose.

It feels slicker than the italian soaps to me. But, as all things shaving, it's very subjective I'm sure. The Amber lather is really thick, very rich, and very slick on my face and as a bonus it takes me back to going to the barbershop with my dad when I was a kid. The Bay Rum had a similar face feel but not quite as thick, it may just be a matter of not working it as well as the others. I didn't prefer the scent so I only did one pass with it.

The Lime and Almond I could not even get a decent lather out of so those are just going to sit in the cabinet.

I got a sampler pack when I first started getting my shaving gear. I like the lime. I've not tried another soap yet but I just have the feeling that there are better soaps out there.

I don't have much positive to say about it really. I've had other M&P glycerin soaps that I like better. I received a brand new puck of CC Amber in a PIF and I can see why it wasn't used. For me, it was easy to get a nice thick lather but I could never achieve much slickness in it. I might give it another shot soon and add some more water and see if that helps but I'm not hopeful.

I was gonna order some conk when I first started wet shaving a year ago, but I've found stuff I currently like, and have my eye on others still so it went to the back burner of planned purchases.

Well I just did a test lather on my puck of CC Amber for the heck of it since I had a great shave with another M&P soap today and I have to say that it actually yielded a very impressive lather. I'm going to give it another try tomorrow and see how it shaves but if this test lather is any indication then I should find it to be a great shave. Guess it pays to always go back and revisit those soaps you had issues with in the past; it seems I wasn't using enough product and water and with a heavy load it really did shine.

Well I just did a test lather on my puck of CC Amber for the heck of it since I had a great shave with another M&P soap today and I have to say that it actually yielded a very impressive lather. I'm going to give it another try tomorrow and see how it shaves but if this test lather is any indication then I should find it to be a great shave. Guess it pays to always go back and revisit those soaps you had issues with in the past; it seems I wasn't using enough product and water and with a heavy load it really did shine.
I usually let the Bay Rum soak up a small amount of water when I am showering. Then use my brush with a bout two shakes after soaking. Swirl until a nice thick goo forms on the brush. Then transfer to a lathering bowl (Pyrex glass dish for me) and whip up a lather. I add a few drops of water or swirl in more soap as needed to get a good meringue like lather.

That's my story and I am sticking to it...

I usually let the Bay Rum soak up a small amount of water when I am showering. Then use my brush with a bout two shakes after soaking. Swirl until a nice thick goo forms on the brush. Then transfer to a lathering bowl (Pyrex glass dish for me) and whip up a lather. I add a few drops of water or swirl in more soap as needed to get a good meringue like lather.

That's my story and I am sticking to it...

I gave it a quick soak so that probably did help as well. My lather was like a good Greek yogurt, which is the way I like them these days.

It does work for me, and mixes great with creams. I've also noticed this puck seems to last a long time.

So I tried CC Amber again tonight for the first time in about a year. It was much better than I remember and I was able to get a decently slick and protective lather. Still not a top tier soap by any stretch but an average soap I would say and definitely something I'll put back into my rotation. For the price it's not a bad deal.

Top Bottom