What's new

Alum & Thayers

I only use alum after trying both since they do basically the same job. Alum being a solid is more travel friendly for me too.

Bob

I use both after shaving. I first use the alum on my wet face. Then after a few minutes I splash fresh water on my face. I dry that off and splash on the Thayers. I use the cucumber, super medicated or peach depending on my mood.

I use Thayers WH (only the toner without alcohol) after every shave. I love the stuff. I only use alum as a spot treatment to stop blood flow from tiny nicks and for enhanced grip on my fingertips because I have soft water and it's near impossible to safely hold a razor with wet hands.

Quite complementary products, IMO.
I certainly use both quite often.
The alum block, is used mainly to 'dry' my fingers to help face stretching.
Or, in case of a weeper or cut, to stop bleeding, which, fortunately, is less than 10%.
Then Thayer's as aftershave splash, most often the Medicated version.
But I also enjoy Thayers Rose, Lemon, and the astringent versions.

Both after every shave. Alum after a hot rinse, allowed to dry, cold rinse then Thayer's using a cotton makeup pad. Have only tried the two unscented versions and prefer the one with alcohol.

dave

I appreciate it. I am trying to figure out my summer routine. I thought you could both, but wasn't sure as both are astringents and did not want to do anything to harsh.

Interesting, I always thought both Thayers and Alum had toning and slight anti bacterial properties so why use both.

Bob

I just use alum right now. But if I can get buy in the summer with one or both it would be great.

I recently decided to simplify my post shave routine. My post shave used to be warm rinse, then cold, then alum and finally dickinsons witch hazel and aftershave. I rarely get weepers anymore so cut out the alum over last month or so and haven't looked back. I will bring the alum with me when travelling.

I read this in a similar thread - so this is what I do:
Bad shave with irritation = alum
Good shave reward = splash of refreshing rose Thayers witch hazel.

I'll use T.N. Dicksons, instead of the rose, depending on what scent the soap/cream was.

I have both, but I don't use either routinely as an AS. I only use the alum block on my face if I get a nick and use Thayers only occasionally.

I use Alum after a cold rinse. I picked up Thayer's original with Aloe today. It has a nice pleasant smell. Being that AoS balms don't contain alcohol, I'm going to try the combination. I like the alcohol sting.

Spiez

Top Bottom