What's new

Synthetics: Maggard's VS Razorock

Hate to beat a dead horse if this is already out there, but I now have both of these synthetics, the Maggard and the Razorock. I haven't been wetshaving for long enough to be certain, but it seems to me that they are identical. They are the same price, the same size and the I believe the same in terms of performance. Is there any reason to purchase one over the other?

$vs.jpg$vs2.jpg

I don't know for sure. I can't imagine that most companies spend money on R&D for their products. What most likely happens is they find the lowest cost supplier for synthetic knots and another low cost supplier for plastic handles. Both are generic and when assembled the company will simply slap their logo on it and BAM.

There are companies like mühle who do have their own synthetic fiber technology but again, not everyone spends money on R&D.

I have a rr and maggard. I can't tell the difference performance or feel wise. My rr tips are lighter in color than the maggards though.

My point may have not been clear from my previous post. What I meant is that because they are generic brushes, for the most part, with different company logos, they are and will perform the same. That means there's no functional reason for choosing one over the other. At that point it is merely a choice based on aesthetics and how you feel about that particular company in general.

Hate to beat a dead horse if this is already out there, but I now have both of these synthetics, the Maggard and the Razorock. I haven't been wetshaving for long enough to be certain, but it seems to me that they are identical. They are the same price, the same size and the I believe the same in terms of performance. Is there any reason to purchase one over the other?

View attachment 656090View attachment 656091

My point may have not been clear from my previous post. What I meant is that because they are generic brushes, for the most part, with different company logos, they are and will perform the same. That means there's no functional reason for choosing one over the other. At that point it is merely a choice based on aesthetics and how you feel about that particular company in general.

Makes sense to me.

I have the 24mm of both and to me, the handles are the only difference. Performance, feel, and look, the knots are from the same manufacturer made to the same specs as far as my face and fingers and soap can tell. I love them both!

Does the handle not affect the splay at all between the two brushes? It looks like taller RazoRock handle would provide more background?

I have a Stirling Kong that uses the same knot, and I found the way the knot was set in the handle caused the Kong to splay a little easier for me as compared to the RazoRock brush. Splay is something I like in my synthetic brushes, so I opted for the Kong.

Does the handle not affect the splay at all between the two brushes? It looks like taller RazoRock handle would provide more background?

I have a Stirling Kong that uses the same knot, and I found the way the knot was set in the handle caused the Kong to splay a little easier for me as compared to the RazoRock brush. Splay is something I like in my synthetic brushes, so I opted for the Kong.

Agreed. Even if the knots are the same dimensions, there are many other factors how the brush performs. I prefer a good splay a well so opted for a WD 22mm knot set in a 24mm handle. This still gives me a 24 mm brush, but the knot isn't packed into the handle which allows it to splay a little more.

Exactly the same knot to me, but Maggards give more splay in my experience. RR have more backbone and a little scrubbier. Both are excellent brushes, you can't go wrong with Maggards or RR.

I'm just about (I think) to order the black Maggard in 22mm because of the neat handle. Can anyone say if there's any real difference at all from the Plisson L'Occitane brush they had out?

Both feel very similar to me. I like the original rr handle better but prefer the purple swirl look of my maggards one.
I also have the monster

Exactly the same knot to me, but Maggards give more splay in my experience. RR have more backbone and a little scrubbier. Both are excellent brushes, you can't go wrong with Maggards or RR.
Have both, +1 on 1Vader's assessment. Also Maggards 24 seems a bit floppier and holds a bit more, Razorrock seems slightly more precise.

Top Bottom