What's new

Tech with Embossed Gillette - Zamak?

I've seen the wiki reference made more than once recently. It is incorrect. I have both a tech and travel tech from 1963 (both I-1) that are not Zamak. I believe (I may be wrong) that Zamac did not appear on the techs until 1964. The brass handles continued later into the decade until they were replace by aluminum. Below are three of my 1960's techs, demonstrating the changes made over the years. L to R: 1969 (O-4) with Zamak head and aluminum handle. 1966 (L-4) with Zamak head and brass handle. 1963 (I-1) with brass head and brass handle. It is difficult to see in the picture, but the diamond logo is etched on the 1963. I think all techs are great razors, even the Zamak ones. I would recommend any of the 1960's techs to someone wanting to try a vintage razor at a minimal investment.
That is great information, thank you! Sounds like the wiki needs to be updated. Who can do that? I've recently tried to use it twice and some information has been missing or just wrong.

@objectuser

Make sure it has the right baseplate with oblong slots. Sometimes they get mixed up and sold wrong.

The etched cap comes with the baseplate on the left. The one on the right is the prewar Tech baseplate.
Cool, thanks, that makes sense. I was aware of the different baseplate slots. From other threads, I understand that the postwar Tech not only has a different baseplate, but that the cap supports the blade differently. I do think I want to try to get a postwar Tech, but I'm open to both the brass cap and the zamak top, depending on price.

The zamak techs probably aren't as durable, but the blade angels would be the same. I plan to snatch up any under $10 when I see them and the pass them along to folks who want to try a good old school design.

Top Bottom