What's new

Vintage straights storage

This could be a stupid question: is it wise to store vintage straight razors that have been restored in their original box?
My instinct tells me it isn't, if anything because of sanitization reasons...am I right? Should I just put the original boxes in a drawer and forget about them?

I store my razors in plain sight so I can monitor any oxidation on the blades. I have ignored a couple of razors and found them rusted beyond repair. I hate when that happens. I would keep the boxes for potential re-sale.

I live in FL and our salt air mandates that my storage solution be centered on preventing oxidation. I recommend the treated sleeves for storage.

where can I find these silicone sleeves? I recall reading about some brand that sells razor-specific sleeves around this forum but I can't find that post anymore...

I used to store mine in these silicone/ oil sleeves and they kept them shining. However, the person that honed them told me not to store them with oil, since it would loosen the blade. In fact, I did notice some loosening and have since stopped. Some of you experts on here should set us straight. The sleeves referred to above do, in fact, have oil in them.

I use the SackUps roll (it's made of the same thing as the sleeves, with a bit less silicone.)

I don't really fear the silicone loosening the blade at all, given that I oil the pivot on purpose.

Legion

Staff member
I keep the razors that have an original box in their box. So far I haven't died even once.

You can store them in their original boxes and I would put a coat of oil or grease on them for long term and you can also get that paper that repels moisture which they were originally wrapped in too.

I bought few 'eiffel wood pen box' from the bay and tinkered some to create these.

Attachments

• $boxes.jpg
    $boxes.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 108
Cigar boxes work nice. It is just hard to find the ones with the inserts. The one to the left was free from a cigar shop the fancy two layer one center was cheap on the bay. Took a lot of searching though. The ones I see at the flea market don't have the inserts, plus cigar shops are cheaper or free with more choices. I think most people selling them get them from cigar shops cheap or free and up the price anyhow.
$SAM_0351_resized.jpg

Lots of great idea here! I like the cigar box, didn't think of it but might explore if something cheap comes up. Those silicone sleeves seem quite expensive.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My cigar box storage. Semi airtight but all blades have a coat of oil on them for insurance.

I have them stored in leather pouches in my dressing.
To stay on the safe side I loaded my dressing with 10 pounds of silica gel bags... Works great

Top Bottom