What's new

First "Nicer Strait"

I'm ready to buy my first Nicer Strait. My price limit is $300. What would you guys recommend. At first I was shooting for American made, but don't want to do that at the expense of quality, so that's no longer a pre requesite.

Boker makes some aestetecially pleasing blades. The blade face I'm speaking of. Are Boker straits well thought of?

So $300 limit what would be the Strait you'd buy. Not $301 either please. $300 and under is already getting me on the couch for a while.

Honestly look around on the sales forum on the site....you can pick up some beautiful straights for less than your limit and even some full customs. The limit isn't your dollar it more about finding something that visually gets your heart racing.....there are some great retailers as well. Just off the top of my head I know that custom razor makers Brain Brown has 2 and Jerry Stark has at least one that fit the bill.
If your after something more classic or vintage guys like Doc and others on here might have a few as well....

There's always Jerry stark razors. USA made. There's a YouTube video of the process I think. I'm holding out on a new straight until I can put up the cash for one of his.
Worth a look, although I don't have any personal experience with them.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I think Jarrod has some Bismarcks in stock. They are around $160 as I recall and he ships them shave ready. Bismarcks are great! I prefer the plain vanilla versions, though, without all the pink fluffy unicorns dancing on rainbow gold wash and etching, but that's just me.

Yes, current production Bokers are pretty good. Some of their scales maybe not so great, on some. I prefer vintage Bokers but I have only had a King Cutter, out of their recent production, shortly after they started getting back into the straight razor business. At the time it was very competitively priced, and a very good shaver.

Have a look at the Revisor site.

For made in the USA straights check out Portland Razor Co and Hart Steel. There are in your price range but Portland Razor Co usually has a 2-3 month wait.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
For made in the USA straights check out Portland Razor Co and Hart Steel. There are in your price range but Portland Razor Co usually has a 2-3 month wait.

Aren't Portland Razor Co the ones that have to be honed with tape, because they are made from stock that is too thin for the blade width? I have not actually seen one so no first hand experience here.

Aren't Portland Razor Co the ones that have to be honed with tape, because they are made from stock that is too thin for the blade width? I have not actually seen one so no first hand experience here.
I hone mine without tape. They are easy to hone and take and hold an excellent edge. I have ten straights and my PRC razors are my favorite. I own a Kamisori and a Damascus 7/8. They are both heavy razors and the geometry seems spot on.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I hone mine without tape. They are easy to hone and take and hold an excellent edge. I have ten straights and my PRC razors are my favorite. I own a Kamisori and a Damascus 7/8. They are both heavy razors and the geometry seems spot on.

ah ok then. Good deal.

Without a doubt, one of the larger, pricier Ralf Austs would be my choice -- oh wait, it already was my choice. :001_smile (And will be again, long before I splash for a new razor from any other company or custom maker.) And they are all under $300; maybe an 8/8 wouldn't be, but I can't remember seeing one of those from him. Downside? The only one I can think of is that you'll likely have to put a finish on the edge -- mine, from SRD, came with a good bevel and was close to being shave-ready, but wasn't quite there. I had to take it to a finisher to get it really ready for my face. (I don't know whether it was honed by Herr Aust at the factory or by SRD.)

I've not shaved with a nicer modern production razor than the Boker Silver Steel. It is way under your price point.

Ok. On Revisor, is it safe to assume that any Solingen made 30 or more years ago was well made? They have some really nice razors I like, but by names that I've never heard of. Also they have a bunch of Schmidt and Pumas. All Older but REALLY NICE. Back when people to pride in there work, am I crazy to assume I'd be safe with any of these, if sharpened correctly?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Ok. On Revisor, is it safe to assume that any Solingen made 30 or more years ago was well made? They have some really nice razors I like, but by names that I've never heard of. Also they have a bunch of Schmidt and Pumas. All Older but REALLY NICE. Back when people to pride in there work, am I crazy to assume I'd be safe with any of these, if sharpened correctly?

Not crazy at all. It is possible that you could be disappointed but not likely at all. Even those old souveneir 7 day sets which were not really even meant to be used AFAIK, shave nicely when properly honed, stropped, and used. The only exception being IME the Dovo "Best" razors which I have had only bad luck with, though others have liked them.

What I like about the Revisor site is the incredible variety. Prices are not bad, either. Don't bet on getting a shave ready edge, though.

Not to hijack your thread, but I'm interested in a nice razor as well. The ones mentioned above look nice, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Wacker razors. They have a few nice ones in the $300 price range.

Not to hijack your thread, but I'm interested in a nice razor as well. The ones mentioned above look nice, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Wacker razors. They have a few nice ones in the $300 price range.
I've got two, very good razors but above all very beautiful razors.

Without a doubt, one of the larger, pricier Ralf Austs would be my choice -- oh wait, it already was my choice. :001_smile (And will be again, long before I splash for a new razor from any other company or custom maker.) And they are all under $300; maybe an 8/8 wouldn't be, but I can't remember seeing one of those from him. Downside? The only one I can think of is that you'll likely have to put a finish on the edge -- mine, from SRD, came with a good bevel and was close to being shave-ready, but wasn't quite there. I had to take it to a finisher to get it really ready for my face. (I don't know whether it was honed by Herr Aust at the factory or by SRD.)
Very good advice. If also like to add that I've got three, all three came shave ready directly from Herr Aust. He sells through his site. I do recommend a visit.

Top Bottom