What's new

Best small brush in boar, or horse maybe?

So as I only shave my neck and upper cheeks around my beard, I'm looking for a small brush. Up until this point in my life I've had not but three brushes. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what they were made of as they were garage sale finds and the like. One of them was quite fancy with a gold handle, but I did not like it as the hair was very floppy and too soft, I'm assuming this was probably a well used silvertip or synthetic bristle brush. In any case, I'd like it to be stiff, yet small, so from my research this means boar.

I'd like responses to recommend the best three small brushes to buy. I don't mind spending up to $50.00.

For $50 the world is your oyster!!
Look on eBay, you can take your pick of Vie Long horsehair brushes and Semogue boar brushes, with the change you could probably get a very good silvertip from China
I'm not a fan of boar brushes, I prefer badger or horsehair
I've got a dark badger brush with a black handle- a good all rounder for €6,00 from England, a banded badger brush with a cream handle- best for bowl lathering creams for €6,00 from China and a horsehair brush- best for face lathering soaps for €5,50 from China
All 3 brushes give me all the bangs for my buck that I could want
YMMV
Back Left : Dark Badger
Back Right : Horsehair
Front in Bowl : Banded Badger
attachment.php

Vie-Long Pony is a great little horse. It's the 13120 model (50:50 mane: tail) or 13120M (35:65 mane: tail, which is a little scritchier -- my choice). It's less than $20.

Omega 40033 is a terrific stout little brush for less than $10.

West Coast Shaving sells B&B Essential (Omega) boars in 22mm. Very reasonably priced, compact, a portion of the sale benefits B&B, and they lather like a champ.

The Omega 11047 might be your brush. It's known affectionately as the Mixed Midget. It's part boar, part badger, not at all floppy, plenty of backbone, and small.

proxy.php

Well, I really wish I would have put off ordering so I could have had these most recent responses. Last night I took the plunge on a wee scot, but now desire the midget more. Also, now that I know there is a B&B brush, I'll be purchasing it for certain. Thanks for all the help folks.

Well, I really wish I would have put off ordering so I could have had these most recent responses. Last night I took the plunge on a wee scot, but now desire the midget more. Also, now that I know there is a B&B brush, I'll be purchasing it for certain. Thanks for all the help folks.

Ammendment: I'm returning the wee scot unused, and buying the omega, after all it's what I was looking for and waaaay less $$$.

I was thinking of mentioning the Mixed Midget as well. It's another of my hard-working little guys -- I do enjoy them.

Down the road you may be sorry you returned the Wee Scot, though. :)

You can't really go wrong with the 11047 though they can be a little prickly at first (depending on the production batch I think; mine was pretty soft). I bought mine last november ('15) and it didn't leave my sink for over 4 months which hasn't happened anymore since I own more than 2 brushes (I can't remember when that was). I thought my synthetics were easy to use but this one makes lather with such an ease that it almost feals like cheating.

Either Omega 10077 or Semogue 620.
Great backbone, wonderfully soft tips once broken in and nice compact face feel.

Top Bottom