What's new

This any good?

Does this look like a good list of ingredients? Ran into a nice old couple selling soap at a local flea market. They said the soap also contains clay for slickness.? Couple of the scents smelled nice, but very light scent. Worth trying at 15 dollars for 2 pucks and a wooden bowl? $uploadfromtaptalk1462238087301.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I haven't found a decent lathering soap which contains olive oil ... They are said to exist.

AA

I'd pass it up just because it has olive oil in it. Most soaps withbolivr oil in it don't lathdr well enough to shave with.

is olive oil really that bad? a artision soap i really like is bearded jack's soap from someone in ohio the ingredients look very much the same as that and i have really good result with this soap better then some soaps i have payed 3 times as much for. i mostly face lather. seems to work perfect.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bearded-Jac...hash=item41a7ab76bf:m:mFYwNedx461J6xNC6i2cmnA

That soap has lauric acid and is a glycerin base which makes the soap quite a bit different than the one in question. I would have expected to see a decent lather from Bearded Jacks but not from the one in the original post. Do you find Bearded Jacks drying at all?

Soaps with olive oil don't get a lot of love around here. There are exceptions though. Only you can decide if it is a good soap or not. Try it out a couple of times and let us all know. I have tried a few soaps from farmer's markets and antique stores and for the most part...I am not a fan. I am beginning to believe that the bigger name artisanal soap makers are successful because they do extensive testing with their soaps. I get the feeling the stuff from farmer's markets are made in a batch and then tested maybe once, then stuck in a mason jar and sold. Test it out and let us know.

Soaps with olive oil don't get a lot of love around here. There are exceptions though. Only you can decide if it is a good soap or not. Try it out a couple of times and let us all know. I have tried a few soaps from farmer's markets and antique stores and for the most part...I am not a fan. I am beginning to believe that the bigger name artisanal soap makers are successful because they do extensive testing with their soaps. I get the feeling the stuff from farmer's markets are made in a batch and then tested maybe once, then stuck in a mason jar and sold. Test it out and let us know.

I get the feeling that most of them aren't tested at all, or they are used by the soap maker, normally a woman, to shave her legs and many of them will do that with their normal bath soap anyway. I just don't think most of the local soap makers have a clue about brush lathering.

I haven't found a decent lathering soap which contains olive oil ... They are said to exist.

AA

Cold River Olivia is getting some very good reviews.

To the OP, the ingredients look very good for a bath or hand soap, but not so much for a shave soap. However, for the price, it may be well worth experimenting.
Good luck.

That soap has lauric acid and is a glycerin base which makes the soap quite a bit different than the one in question. I would have expected to see a decent lather from Bearded Jacks but not from the one in the original post. Do you find Bearded Jacks drying at all?
not sure if you mean the lather drying up or if it drys my skin. But I do not have ether issue . Seems very moistering . Did not relize they were that different. But I see the diffrence now .

I tried a mom and pop soap maker in a small Georgia town once. Their bath soaps were fine, but like someone already said, usually a woman is making the soap and it is not tested extensively like some of the better known artisan soap makers we like here on this forum. The lather was thin and dissipated very quickly. Please pass the Stirling!

not sure if you mean the lather drying up or if it drys my skin. But I do not have ether issue . Seems very moistering . Did not relize they were that different. But I see the diffrence now .

Was wondering if you noticed any drying of your skin post shave but sounds like the glycerin and olive oil do a good job moisturizing.

Castor oil - Hard bar

This would make me put the soap back and not give it a second thought.

Castor oil makes about the softest soap you can possibly make. If this crafter thinks castor oil makes their soap harder... then it speaks poorly of their experience level.

Top Bottom