What's new

Interim Low-cost Briefcase

Thin.

I have both. I make this recommendation not based on weight, but on design. The thin is designed to be carried as a rectangle (albeit a thin rectangle.) You carry it empty or loaded to max, it always carries and hangs from the hand the same (proper) way.

The original, however, is designed to be carried as a triangle. Look at it from the end, when empty ... a triangle! You can kind of see it here:

proxy.php

Carry it empty, and the handle is perfectly situated at the apex of the triangle so the bag hangs down straight. Toss in a few smaller items, and no change. Load it up as much as you'd load up the "slim" and no real change either. But then, as you get closer and closer to loading it up to it's apparent "max capacity", the geometry of the bag changes from triangle to rectangle ... but with the handle at the same spot on the top flap, it moves from the centre of the bag towards the back ... this photo of an Amazon knock-off sort of shows this problem ...

proxy.php

The result being: the bag does not hang down properly from the handle, but at an angle (with the bottom edge of the bag hanging in towards you and digging into your leg as you carry the bag.)

I actually went with the Amazon version, called the Polare -

http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Shoul...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

"Doc4" is correct that if you max out the carrying capacity of the Amazon version it is heavy and not as easy to carry by its handle. However, the briefcase/overnight bag is more easily and comfortably carried using the shoulder strap when you are carrying a full load.

Also, the price differential is something to consider. The Amazon Polare is very well-constructed of thick leather and runs $200 whereas you will pay 3.75x that much ($749) for a Saddleback Leather Co. version - the US Waterbag.

All-in-all I am very happy with my Amazon Polare. Speaking of which, I used it recently while attending a conference in Atlanta, GA and was able to pack two full days of clothes (blue jeans, shirts, underclothes, socks), computer tablet with mouse and power cord, a puffy soft leather-bound notebook, and a stack of papers in an accordion folder.

Tim

I've got a filson in brown canvas. I like it. My favorite bag though is a coach bag from a yard sale. $40, and it is great. Check ebay. Lots of vintage coach briefcases available for short money

Its probably not an option for you because it'd be a bit pricey for an interim bag, but my man-purse is a Filson Medium Field Bag. I use it daily and, for me anyway, its the perfect do everything bag. I take it, nearly literally, everywhere. It gets abused and keeps going. I've never washed it. If it gets loads of dirt or sand (yes, its my beach bag) on it, then I'll hold it by the handle with one hand, and whack it with my other hand. Just like your grandmother cleaned rugs.
proxy.php

Yes. My brother carries a Saddleback bag. He had a classic originally, but swapped it for a thin. I haven't decided whether I want to just get the classic and deal with the weight, or land in-between and get a front-pocket thin.
I had originally got a classic, large and it's huge and heavy, and with the two extra closure straps wrapping completely around the bag is not convenient to open and close, although they will allow carrying a lot of weight in the bag.

My choice was the standard front pocket bag, I got it before they came out with a thin version. It has the single strap flap closure and is much more convenient to carry than the classic, and is much thinner, although not nearly as thin s their thin model. To me the best of both worlds. The front pockets are great, buckle closures for small items you want to secure and the way they are made, they actually form an extra pocket directly behind the sewn on pocket, that allows for thin items such as my checkbook, a small calendar or notepad. The "cigar"pocket between the two front pockets is perfect for an extra pen or two also. On a more personal side, it also looks much dressier and formal than the larger, thicker classic model.

Sorry to rez an old thread, but I thought ya'll might like to hear the conclusion of the story.
I wound up getting an LLBean rucksack to use until I finished school. While not as nice, it did its job well, and was fantastic to have during our vacation in the fall (mobile base station, snacks, camera, etc...).
IMG_4461.JPG

However, I finished my degree last week, and a wonderful gift from my wonderful wife awaited me when I returned home from work...

IMG_4460.JPG

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Congratulations on finishing your degree.
The LLBean rucksack looks like the perfect choice as a Interim Low-cost Briefcase. The saddleback is beautiful and a very thoughtful gift. :thumbup1:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Congratulations on finishing your degree.
The LLBean rucksack looks like the perfect choice as a Interim Low-cost Briefcase. The saddleback is beautiful and a very thoughtful gift. :thumbup1:
I am trying to think of a reason why I need a briefcase like that :lol:

There is no question that you will need that nice leather saddleback case. But you could also use a rugged and inexpensive alternative just like you do with shoes, suits, ties, etc. For this reason I'm going to recommend that you check out Mountainsmith. They used to make a Network bag that holds a laptop and is TSA compliant and will hold everything you stuff in it. And it still maintains a low profile when more or less empty. The Network has been discontinued but there are still vendors selling it. I have one that has lasted me at least 10 years and shows no signs of slowing down. I travel a fair amount and it is great on the road. My only problem with the last version of the Network is the red piping on the outside pocket. I have the one with the yellow piping and like that better. But that is a small gripe. For a little more, it seems Mountainsmith has replaced that bag with their Adventure Office Large, which appears to be about the same size. But it looks better than the Network. And I bet you can find it on sale somewhere. I have also used Lands End briefcases for years and the canvas ones have not lasted or worn as well as the Mountainsmith. I have several old and worn Lands End bags in my attic stuffed with god knows what and each one only lasted me about a year and a half. I really can't speak more highly of the Mountainsmith bag as well as all of their products. I've purchased camera bags and Go Pro bags from them and think they really make a quality product. Check them out and good luck.

This is the Network:

proxy.php

And this is their new Adventure Office:

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom