What's new

Need Tent Suggestions

Our last trip to Jalama Beach finally battered our aging 6 man tent.

We need a new one. Under $200(if possible), 6-8 man, dome style.

We have the Sequoias and Lake Tahoe coming up.
Any suggestions appreciated

$200 and under is a tall order.
When is your trip?
I know that REI has a national garage sale on June 4th and 5th. You can find stuff half off at their garage sales for a rip or broken tent pole section. Most stores bring the tents out on the second day, but contact your local store for details.

I picked up an older model from a discount store a year or two ago, was around $200 for a 5 man tent when the current model was more than twice that. The two bedrooms can sleep 5 but the living area is bigger than some old 6 man tents I've stayed in. A nice mix of living space and portability, went wild and picked up a living space carpet which was another ~$50 and added a little luxury. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJp--KS33KI

Our last trip to Jalama Beach finally battered our aging 6 man tent.
We need a new one. Under $200(if possible), 6-8 man, dome style.
We have the Sequoias and Lake Tahoe coming up.
Any suggestions appreciated

Oh Jalama Beach!! I haven't been there in years but after my first year of teaching I borrowed a friends Winnebago and took off for the whole summer. I was living in North San Diego County at the time and stopped there twice - once on the way up north and once on the way back home. Beautiful place but as you found out it can get pretty windy.

We have a 5 person tent that's an REI brand that we love and I found it on the REI outlet site for less than 200$. Don't know what they have currently but it might be worth it to check it out.

Coleman Tents have served us well.

Coleman's used to get my vote except the department store versions tend to have very poor fly coverage. The fly's are short and overlap very little, therefore rain gets in easily.

campmor online has discounted tents, I'd check there as well. I bought my 6 man Sierra Designs tent there back in 2004 and still use it though I believe the tent was $300 with aluminum poles.

Pay close attention to the fly and coverage over windows and doors. Also metal poles are better, fiber glass poles can and will snap in cold near freezing temps.

Good luck!
-Stephen

I usually suggest to people if your planning on keeping the tent for a while I would look to REI. YOU CAN RENT ONE at most stores. This would give you the opportunity to try one out you may be interested in. However, they are usually more expensive than your budget. We have the REI Kingdom 6. Big tent that realistically sleeps 4-5. Tall that you can stand up in it.

I usually suggest to people if your planning on keeping the tent for a while I would look to REI. YOU CAN RENT ONE at most stores. This would give you the opportunity to try one out you may be interested in. However, they are usually more expensive than your budget. We have the REI Kingdom 6. Big tent that realistically sleeps 4-5. Tall that you can stand up in it.
REI Base camp 6 here, love it! Had it a long time now and it's never let me down. You are not going to get much in a 6 man for 200 though. REI tents are awesome. Renting one is a good suggestion.

I am involved with scouting and I always advise people who are new to camping to rent one first. It saves money and allows you to check out one you may to invest in.

Top Bottom