What's new

How to keep the blades between the uses

Good day,
I have a question regarding the DE blades.
After every shave, I just rinse it with water, dry it and leave it laying in the drawer till the next use.
Am I doing it right? Or is there a better way to keep the blade between the uses?

I just leave the blade in my razor. Can't get much easier than that.

Welcome to Badger and Blade!

I leave mine in the razor I intend to use for my next shave
Tip - Silica Gel sachets or a teaspoon of dry rice wherever you store open tucks or loose blades will keep them dry

After I rinse mine, I loosen the head an dip it in a small jar I have of rubbing alcohol. This displaces the water and then evaporates so the water doesn't pool on the razor or blade. Else it just goes on my stand, no need to remove the blade.

+2. Just leave the blade in the razor between shaves. You only need to remove the blade when it needs to be tossed. KISS!

Good day,
I have a question regarding the DE blades.
After every shave, I just rinse it with water, dry it and leave it laying in the drawer till the next use.
Am I doing it right? Or is there a better way to keep the blade between the uses?
[MENTION=108891]Poster[/MENTION] I think most people have already said this, but just leaving in the razor is probably the best way to go. But hey, you decide what works best for you. I would like to say...Welcome to Badger & Blade!

Welcome to the Club! The less handling the better. The blade is less likely to get damaged if it is protected by the razor.

I like to switch up my razors. I rotate between four of them (R41, Khaki, Slim, and '52 40s style SS). I also like to use one blade at a time until I start a brand new one. I don't have room for four razors in my bathroom, so I keep the razors on my dresser. I have had my kids get on my bed and go through my dresser often enough, that a razor with a blade in it would be too dangerous. Instead I keep the blades in my medicine cabinet in the bathroom. I purchased a roll of flexible magnet tape from Ace hardware. I glued two pieces of magnet tape onto the ceiling of the medicine cabinet on the inside. After I rinse my blades, I take them out and they stick nicely to the magnet to dry until my next shave.

http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Magn..._UL320_SR180,320_&refRID=1DHMKVS295GV5WETQP8E

Last edited:
+1 to this.

After I rinse mine, I loosen the head an dip it in a small jar I have of rubbing alcohol. This displaces the water and then evaporates so the water doesn't pool on the razor or blade. Else it just goes on my stand, no need to remove the blade.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I take the blade out after each shave and wash it in 106 degree water. Then I dry it with a piece of velvet reserved for that job - rubbing only from the middle of the blade out over the sharp edge. Every other day I place the blade in an autoclave to kill any germs. On those days I dry the blade under a sun lamp for 4 minutes and 23 seconds.

Oh wait . . . I don't do any of that. I just leave it in the razor.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I rinse the blade, lightly dry it and then put it in the razor again. Of course there's no need to do that, but I'm a perfectionist.

I am in the KISS camp. I rinse my razor well. Dry the exterior and blow on the razor to remove some surplus water.

I'll take out a carbon steel blade, dry it, and put it in a container of alcohol in between uses. Stainless I'll just leave in the razor.

I have heard of the practice of removing the blade and hanging it off a magnet between uses. However, since blades have been made of stainless material for over 50 years, there is little reason to do that. Some people have artisan stainless razors costing $200 or more, and they wish to protect them from what long-term corrosion can still happen with "stainless" steel. I have been DE shaving for only 2 years and most of my razors are chrome plated. I see no reason to believe they will develop corrosion issues during my lifetime of use.

Top Bottom