What's new

Raw denim - Never washing? I want to find out the truth for myself

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm on the hunt for a pair of raw denim jeans. Just so I can test this theory of never washing your jeans.

So how do I know I'm buying raw denim? Will it tell me on the label "raw denim" ?

I would prefer to buy Wrangler or Levi.

So what should I look for?

Thanks!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Uhhh say again??

$300? Maybe I'll just take their word for it

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
What the! Shoot fire! What about Wrangler?

Those Brave Star might have to do

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Now I really want a pair after reading that article. They make it sound so crazy it's intriguing.

I have 2 pairs of Gustin raw selvedge jeans. One pair purchased about a year ago has been washed once. That washing was just a soak in warm water with a bit of detergent in the bath tub and air dry.

These are my "nice" jeans, so I don't wear them for yard work etc. if I spill on them, they get spot washed as needed. So far, so good. The first pair are now nice and supple. The new pair I got a month ago (black, 16oz) are still very stiff. It will probably take a good year to break those in as well.

I paid about $80 for each pair.

Try another brand. I'm happy with my Brave Star jeans.

http://bravestarselvage.com/

Under $100.

Oh man, I want one of their denim jackets!

How do you feel about the quality of their jeans? I'm happy so far with my Gustin jeans, but there is a LOT of stuff on the web where people are not. Lots of QC issues, and only give store credit on returns. I think I just happen to be sized exactly like the person they based their patterns off of, because they fit me perfectly. I'm basically your average 5'10", 31" waist, 155lbs.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
That esquire article says when you first get them to put them on and lay in the bathtub full of hot water for an hour or two. This way they will mold to your figure.
Then take them off (probably need the help of chains and pulleys) and let them air dry.

Anyone do that?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If you never wash your jeans won't your humanity become overwhelming at some point?

To combat this they tell you to spritz with Febreze or toss them in the freezer overnight to kill the bacteria. Or hang outside to air out.

I regularly don't wash my jeans for 1-2 weeks. But any longer and I'm thinking "I must wash these, it's been over a week!". but they don't stink or anything. It's just a mental thing I guess. Unwashed clothes ya know.

To combat this they tell you to spritz with Febreze or toss them in the freezer overnight to kill the bacteria. Or hang outside to air out.

I regularly don't wash my jeans for 1-2 weeks. But any longer and I'm thinking "I must wash these, it's been over a week!". but they don't stink or anything. It's just a mental thing I guess. Unwashed clothes ya know.

Interesting.

I've heard of people doing the putting them on wet thing, but I think that's more for unsanforized denim. Most raw denim will be sanforized and won't shrink all that much after the first wash. Unsanforized denim will shrink up to 20%.

Like I said, I don't wear these jeans to work in, or do lots of sweaty stuff. Also since I don't wear jeans to work, they generally get worn after work for a few hours and weekends. I have never frozen them. I do hang them by the back belt loop when not wearing them so they air out. They just don't get stinky in the way I wear them.

Most Americans wash their clothes too much anyways. The "never wash" is probably overkill. It's pretty much wash them when they start to stink.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Probably a lot to do with how we are raised too. In my house it was wear it once, it's dirty, toss in dirty clothes for a wash. I'm still that way with most clothing.

Oh man, I want one of their denim jackets!

How do you feel about the quality of their jeans? I'm happy so far with my Gustin jeans, but there is a LOT of stuff on the web where people are not. Lots of QC issues, and only give store credit on returns. I think I just happen to be sized exactly like the person they based their patterns off of, because they fit me perfectly. I'm basically your average 5'10", 31" waist, 155lbs.

I haven't worn them a ton, but no quality issues yet. I'm really pleased with them. Since the weather is warming up here in California, they won't get worn much again until fall.

However, on the subject of laundering, I have lighter jeans that I wear on a regular basis, just knocking around. When I'm done wearing them for the day, they get hung and allowed to air out. Unless I spill something on them, they're good for a couple weeks without issue. T-shirts, socks and undies get washed after one go!

I haven't worn them a ton, but no quality issues yet. I'm really pleased with them. Since the weather is warming up here in California, they won't get worn much again until fall.

However, on the subject of laundering, I have lighter jeans that I wear on a regular basis, just knocking around. When I'm done wearing them for the day, they get hung and allowed to air out. Unless I spill something on them, they're good for a couple weeks without issue. T-shirts, socks and undies get washed after one go!

The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.

Man! It was sweaters or leather jackets, and jeans year round when I lived in Central Cal. At least in the early morning and evening.

Last edited:
I'm on the hunt for a pair of raw denim jeans. Just so I can test this theory of never washing your jeans.

So how do I know I'm buying raw denim? Will it tell me on the label "raw denim" ?

I would prefer to buy Wrangler or Levi.

So what should I look for?

Thanks!

It's a mix whether they tell you if they are raw. What theory are you testing? Eventually you're going to want to wash them. It was my understanding that the only reason denimheads avoid washing them is so that they don't wash out the dye too early and prevent them from getting the "sick fadz brah". Additionally, you can buy non raw denim that will still stretch or drop dye. Uniqlo has some selvedge that crocks like a farmer dropping seed. My gustins do not particularly crock as a reference. Love my gustins.

If you'd like Levi's, look for any selvedge made in cone mills. I believe they supply Levi's selvedge denim.

Top Bottom