What's new

Least dense/ backbone synthetic

I have very sensitive skin with Rosacea that loves to flare up with too much mechanical irritation. I've gravitated to soft 3 band silver tips that are not too dense and release the lather easily. Backbony brushes are not my thing. I have tried various 2 bands and they don't do it for me either. Soft tips but too much backbone and pressure to splay properly leave me irritated. I would like to try a synthetic that is uber soft but not dense or backbony at all. Something with a nice easy splay that easily releases the lather. What kind of synthetic brand would fit this bill? Thanks!

I guess the Plisson L'Occitane would be perfect for you. People often complain about it not having enough backbone and splaying too much.

I don't hear the Muhle synthetics mentioned much... Usually it's chatter about the Plisson type knots. Is there a reason for that?

Plisson . Super soft with very little backbone. No backbone is always the main complaint about the Plisson. But if that's what you're looking for , it would be perfect.

In just comparing hair characteristics, are synthetic hairs softer/ thinner thanks their badger counterparts?

I have a Shave Revolution synthetic that has a great handle. it's very soft, about the same backbone as the Plisson.

Why not a RazoRock Plissoft synthetic brush for $10USD http://www.italianbarber.com/products/razorock-plissoft-synthetic-shaving-brush

proxy.php

I guess the Plisson L'Occitane would be perfect for you. People often complain about it not having enough backbone and splaying too much.

I wasn't a fan of the Muhles. They did not splay at all for me.

I'd say the Plisson branded are the least dense.

Plisson . Super soft with very little backbone. No backbone is always the main complaint about the Plisson. But if that's what you're looking for , it would be perfect.

In just comparing hair characteristics, are synthetic hairs softer/ thinner thanks their badger counterparts?

Agreed, go Plisson if you can. the others are all a little more dense and/or set with shorter lofts to give them just a little more backbone. If you want something close but a little cheaper than the Plisson, check out the Stirling or Maggard 22mm, or maybe even the Fine 20mm.

Thanks for all the replies. I looked/ am looking at the Maggard 22. The handle just doesn't do it for me though...

Pat that size and close we may have a winner! Do all these companies use the exact same knots? They all look remarkably similar

Yes, most of these Plissoft/Plisson style knots are all sourced from the same place, the vendors just set them at slightly different depths in different handles to change the loft and give them a little bit of uniqueness.

I have a Maggard Plissoft and it is like a soft mop! It's a lather creating best though. Can't go wrong for $12 !

Top Bottom