What's new

May 2016 Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the nib be replaced with a Lamy nib?

Sounds like a fun experiment... I've had a few around the $2-4 range that have really surprised me positively. BTW... that does look like a #5 nib on that one... and almost all chinese pens with this type of nib were removeable/friction fit (up until now..). I have a Baoer 516 that I refitted with a Franklin Christoph medium stub. Works pretty good.

Have fun experimenting!!:thumbup1:

Hit the local antique mall this afternoon and returned with a fine Parker 51 Vacumatic in Cordovan Brown. Date code is "T7" which apparently means it was manufactured in the USA from Canadian plastic. ("T" = Toronto?) in 1947. Very nice condition, bargain price, just needs to go off to Danny Fudge for a filler restoration. Larry is happy. :)

Pics later...got company today!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
It's not in the best shape, but it was cheap, so I picked this up today.

$2016-05-30.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
It's not in the best shape, but it was cheap, so I picked this up today.

Skrip's classic well bottles are always on my list. I have a couple filled with modern inks on my shelf today.

Do you know the old color code numbers? The first digit (or two) is the color, the second is the size (ounces).

0 Permanent Red
1 Washable Brown
2 Permanent Blue Black
3 Permanent Jet Black
4 Washable Blue
5 Permanent Royal Blue
6 Washable Black
7 Washable Emerald Green
8 Washable Purple
9 Washable Melon Red
10 Washable Persian Rose
11 Washable Peacock Blue

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Skrip's classic well bottles are always on my list. I have a couple filled with modern inks on my shelf today.

Do you know the old color code numbers? The first digit (or two) is the color, the second is the size (ounces).

0 Permanent Red
1 Washable Brown
2 Permanent Blue Black
3 Permanent Jet Black
4 Washable Blue
5 Permanent Royal Blue
6 Washable Black
7 Washable Emerald Green
8 Washable Purple
9 Washable Melon Red
10 Washable Persian Rose
11 Washable Peacock Blue

Doug, it's unbelievable how much of an asset you are to The Nib. Thank you, for you for your Johnny-on-the-spot responses and wealth of knowledge! I was unaware of the numbering system. I did, learn a day or two ago, about Sheaffer's "washable" vs. "permanent" labeling. I was quite surprised to learn that it is in reference to wash ability out of clothes and hands, and not the permanence of ink on paper.

Been a busy month which means I have missed seeing some of the nice goodies everyone has posted. Particularly find myself envious of Bob's Vacumatic, thats a beautiful pen. My acquisition disorder has been very busy in spite of all my other activities:001_smile.
$20160512_153104.jpg
The Snorkel/Admiral and the striped Duofold will definitely fit my collection. Some how couldn't resist the Morrison BCHR even thought the nib is missing, or the Waterman's Thorobreds and the oversize Marxton. None of the other bidders at this auction really wanted to bid up these pens.
$20160522_084231.jpg
Then along came another Targa to make that collection bigger.
$20160531_111227.jpg
And my "disorder" finished the month in fine fashion. Another Snorkel showed up at a sale friday.
At yesterdays auction adventure I got a nice surprise when I discovered there was a Lamy 2000 and a Sailor hidden in a lot I bid on for the Parker "61", Vanishing Point and the Safari. Now I get to see why everyone here loves the Lamy pens. I of course really wanted the Parker "51", and was glad to grab the Pelikan 120, but got a bit carried away when I went after the Mont Blanc and the pen in front. I don't even know who made it but it sure looks nice. Gonna have to bring a chaperone to auctions with me in the future.:tongue_sm

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Here's the Parker 51 Vacumatic I picked up yesterday:

Nice! I've had one for about 4 or 5 months now and still haven't inked it up, yet. Don't ask me why, I just haven't for some reason. They're nice looking pens, though. I might have to give mine a test run soon. Enjoy!

Been a busy month which means I have missed seeing some of the nice goodies everyone has posted. Particularly find myself envious of Bob's Vacumatic, thats a beautiful pen. My acquisition disorder has been very busy in spite of all my other activities:001_smile.

The Snorkel/Admiral and the striped Duofold will definitely fit my collection. Some how couldn't resist the Morrison BCHR even thought the nib is missing, or the Waterman's Thorobreds and the oversize Marxton. None of the other bidders at this auction really wanted to bid up these pens.

Then along came another Targa to make that collection bigger.

And my "disorder" finished the month in fine fashion. Another Snorkel showed up at a sale friday.
At yesterdays auction adventure I got a nice surprise when I discovered there was a Lamy 2000 and a Sailor hidden in a lot I bid on for the Parker "61", Vanishing Point and the Safari. Now I get to see why everyone here loves the Lamy pens. I of course really wanted the Parker "51", and was glad to grab the Pelikan 120, but got a bit carried away when I went after the Mont Blanc and the pen in front. I don't even know who made it but it sure looks nice. Gonna have to bring a chaperone to auctions with me in the future.:tongue_sm

Wow! It looks like you got wild this past month! :thumbup: Way to go! That's a nice looking Targa. Mine is one of my all-purpose favorites. Mine is smooth and fast. It lays down the appropriate amount of ink for run of the mill spiral notebook paper, but also has enough wetness to be consistent when I'm flexing the tines while writing fast. Nice scores!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Last day of the month and it finally arrived: Pelikan M120 in green/black Special Edition.

Those new M120 pens are just lovely, so elegant for an homage to a "student" pen. What color ink did they send?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom