What's new

Cheap Simpson?

Well simpson makes a variety low end in terms of price but not quality. Thats pure badger which is the lowest grade hair. Id suggest paying a bit more and getting a best badger

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I believe it's inexpensive because it's a small brush. It's roughly 3.5 inches in total height.

Well simpson makes a variety low end in terms of price but not quality. Thats pure badger which is the lowest grade hair. Id suggest paying a bit more and getting a best badger

I guess the only Simpsons I've ever looked up were the Chubby series and Duke series

That brush is small.

I have one in "Best Badger".

The knot in mine is lovely but that handle is just too small for me.

I've never tried Simpsons "Pure Badger" but you never know. You may very well like it.

Seems little to risk for an iconic brand.

Personally I'd look for a larger handle in a higher grade of badger.

The X3 may be the biggest bang for the buck with hair grade, handle size, and knot size right now. Some other Simpson brushes with the same kind of specifications as the X3 can cost more than twice as much.

The Berkeley 46 and Special in "Best Badger" are probably both better brushes than that Special in "Pure" too and are a lot closer price wise than the X3 is.

From my preferences only I'd still prefer both a larger handle and knot. I used a Persian Jar 1 in "Best" with a similarly sized knot for years and was perfectly happy with it. It's a larger handle than the Special or Berkeley but much more expensive than the differences between them should justify.

The X3 is even more bang for the buck like I said. But it's less than the Persian Jar. If you can swing it I think the X3 would be a bigger value to add the brand to the rotation and actually get the prestigious performance to enjoy along with the prestigious brand name.

I don't know how they decide to price their brushes. It seems that actual specifications have less to do with it then model names do.

I really appreciate Simpsons and have four. However, I would NOT get the pure grade. It is simply to scritchy for me.

My advice is to go with their best badger at a minimum. Then pick a handle shape, knot size and loft that is appealing.

I have the Special in Pure and I like it. Definitely different from other Simpsons I have in Best. First of all, the Special handle is excellent! Not too small and very comfortable. It is as well made as any other of their handles. I face lather with mine and it whips up a nice lather. And although it is small, it generates enough lather for a 3-pass shave with touch-ups. Just be ready for a healthy dose of scratchiness that does soften a bit with time.

If you can afford it the Best grade hair is something everyone should at least experience.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
It's my daily Shave brush!! I love it! And you cannot beat the price. I really like the scratchiness I bet from the pure. Definitely worth the price and the chance that you may or may not like it!

I have the Special in Pure and I like it. Definitely different from other Simpsons I have in Best. First of all, the Special handle is excellent! Not too small and very comfortable. It is as well made as any other of their handles. I face lather with mine and it whips up a nice lather. And although it is small, it generates enough lather for a 3-pass shave with touch-ups. Just be ready for a healthy dose of scratchiness that does soften a bit with time.

If you can afford it the Best grade hair is something everyone should at least experience.

They have a Special in best badge for $40 that I'm considering now. I feel like I would like the smaller brush, I also face lather

For what is worth I have an Escali badger and a Burma shave boar.

That have a Special for $40 in best I feel like it would be a night and day difference

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
They have a Special in best badge for $40 that I'm considering now. I feel like I would like the smaller brush, I also face lather

That's a better choice. It is a great entry-level Simpson.

Thats pure badger which is the lowest grade hair. Id suggest paying a bit more and getting a best badger

Yep, the pure is quite different and the best badger is just a little more. Then there's the Berkeley 46 for just a little more than that and even better for face lathering (around $50).

Two things: that's a very old picture - Simpsons sticker now says something like "hand made in Britain". Second pure can be quite variable since the crown of the knot exposes the cut ends of the bristles rather than the natural taper found in Best and above grades. A pure can be a great brush but it might be worth an extra 20 or so move up a grade. Then again at that price it's probably worth a try so you know if it works for your style shaving.

+1 here. A good way to get a simpson

This. I've had both, and the Special in best was very special. It is a smaller brush, but I never had any problem getting 2 passes worth of lather out of mine (It may have had more in it, but I only do 2 passes)

The Special in pure however, was so scritchy that it hurt my face (and it shed like a dog)

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I believe it's inexpensive because it's a small brush. It's roughly 3.5 inches in total height.

Yes Jason, that's correct. It's a small brush, with a small knot made of low priced Pure badger hair. Anyway, it's a lovely brush!

For me the Special is one of the nicest Simpsons, but I do like small knots. It is a small brush indeed but I don't think the handle is too small; the handle on the Wee Scot is really small but the one on the Special is fine for me. I would go for the 'best' quality though; Simpsons 'best' is just great for facelathering.

Top Bottom