What's new

Skin too sensitive for single blades?

This is a lengthy first post, so here: tl;dr straight razors and DE give me 1 pass with minimal irritation, but only Power Fusion cartridge razor allows multiple passes with/against/across grain for bbs and NO suffering.

Just made an account after lurking for a bit. I'm not *entirely* new to wet shaving, but I'm still experimenting with products and razors, as I probably will forever!

What I've stopped experimenting with as much are blades themselves. I have extremely sensitive skin, and incredibly dense follicles. I also have slight keratosis pilaris on my arms and legs, which travels just a tiny little hint up onto my cheeks right by my jaw bone. (You'd really have to search to notice it, but that's exactly what I've done...! :D) This magical combination means that I can do one pass with the grain with maybe a nick here and there if I'm being rough, but a second pass with ANYTHING rips me apart. Alas, because my hair is so dark, without a second pass people (usually women that don't realize how thick beard hair can be, but often men as well) will question if I've shaved that day/if I know how to shave/if I'm growing my beard out/if I'm going for that Ethan-Hawke-living-in-a-dumpster look. Frustrating is an understatement, especially considering how much I enjoy my newfound and stupidly expensive hobby.

For context: I own the Edwin Jagger DE8911bl, with which I've tried numerous blades. Feathers are too aggressive, Astras seem to be the most comfortable for me, and if you show me a Derby I'll bleed from spontaneous facial stigmata as the ground opens up and my soul tumbles in. I also own a Dovo shavette, and I can line up a beard pretty easily until I get to my neck. That's when the harsh razor burn, nicks, and general hell breaks loose. I've had "Master Barbers" take a figurative stab at it with straight razors, and even they can't soothe the overdramatic flesh carpet that is my dainty, beautiful little boy face. I was extremely disappointed after getting into wet shaving only to find out it's nearly impossible for me to get a "true" "manly" "perfect" "if you can't do this you're probably just an idiot because anyone can do this" shave.

However, I've found ONE exception, hallelujah praise the Great Silvertip in the Sky. The Lexington Power razor from The Art of Shaving with Fusion cartridges. The vibration and multi-blade combo allows me to do two, even three passes (if I've really prepared), and leave me with NO irritation -- aside from some soft redness for a few minutes. Hate all you want on the cartridges, tell me I haven't seen a real barber, claim my technique is doodoo and my gear is all wrong. But for me, and I hope for a handful of others out there, this is the ONLY solution for my skin if I want a real bbs shave.

So, the reason I post this is manifold. First, as a beacon of hope for maybe the one other dude out there with my specific issue. Second, as a way to gauge my experience so I can find out if it is just me. Am I alone in this experience? Is anyone else too sensitive for single blades and perfectly suited for the "hysteresis process" of Gillette cartridges? Am I doing something wrong here? Has anyone else found a different solution to extreme sensitivity/dense beard hair?

Apologies for the text wall, but thanks for making it this far. Glad to join the community at last! :biggrin1:

Welcome to B&B!

First, let me start by saying: Do what works for you! As much as I'd like to see every single man here in the US dump cartridges and shave with a classic razor (for environmental and economic reasons), I certainly wouldn't want to see you or anybody else suffer from discomfort or medical issues as a result. Yo can always use a soap or cream with a brush (instead of canned goop) while shaving with a cart.

Since you said you've been lurking, I assume you know the importance of beard prep and technique. Well, I'm going to rehash it here��

I've been using a DE for about two years, and SE and injector for several months (even venturing into straights over the past weeks). I still occasionally forget and use WAY too much pressure. Loosen your grip, hold the razor close to the bottom of the handle, and let the weight of the razor do the work. Have you tried an adjustable DE? I bought my Black Beauty at an antique shop for under five bucks. It does the trick for me. Oh...don't forget your angle.

Now (I know I'm out of order here, lol) let's talk pre-shave. Have you tried Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap as a facial wash? I just finished up my first bar as a face/bath bar and loved it! It smells to the high heavens (SWMBO hates the scent. I think it smells like a campfire or turnout gear from my firefighting days) but it REALLY softens your beard and works wonders on dry skin. Some guys even swear by it as a shave soap. Have you tried any pre-shave oil? I liked Shave Secret, and got good results with plain EVOO. Don't forget the hot towel treatment!

I hope that helps! Again, there's no shame in using a cart if thats what works for you!

Hello and welcome, dangninny. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

I agree with the mightyeskimo. Do whatever works best for you.​

Well I am not going to be as arrogant to believe that I know what is best for you. I will say though that we are very happy to have you here at Badger & Blade!

First, welcome to B&B.

Most new DE shavers think they have sensitive skin when the real issue is poor technique, i.e., putting too much pressure on the razor when shaving and not using the proper blade angle. Cartridge shaving takes the variables out of shaving since it is the cartridge that sets the angle and pressure is not an issue when using the cartridge.

WEB MD has an excellent article on sensitive skin. They also have an article that gives some good advice on shaving for those that actually have sensitive skin.

First, welcome to B&B.

Most new DE shavers think they have sensitive skin when the real issue is poor technique, i.e., putting too much pressure on the razor when shaving and not using the proper blade angle. Cartridge shaving takes the variables out of shaving since it is the cartridge that sets the angle and pressure is not an issue when using the cartridge.

WEB MD has an excellent article on sensitive skin. They also have an article that gives some good advice on shaving for those that actually have sensitive skin.
Excellent exquisite as always

Welcome to B&B! You are among kindred spirits -- although there are many opinions and nuggets of good advice...lively dialogue and discussion guaranteed!

As former cart user, I will opine that using a cart is almost brain-dead easy, and the shaves were pretty good I must say. I (re)started "real blade" wet-shaving a little because of the outrageous price of the Mach3 carts I was using. And...I was intrigued about acquiring "vintage" razors like those I started shaving with back in the day.

Now...I am much more aware of the care of my face: razor angle and pressure, quality soap with great ingredients, and a collection of AS lotions and potions not only with great fragrances, but quality skin-care ingredients.

That's fun and all that...but, as I said I am much more aware of skin care. I wash with a "sensitive" moisturizing soap 2x/day; I look to soothe/heal the face after a shave; and of course I shave carefully to avoid irritation and bloodshed. Also (and this was a big pleasant surprise to me) I stopped getting ingrowns. The "advantage" of the cart is (if you believe the ad hype) is that the blades wind up cutting the whisker below the skin. If one has even slightly curly hair, this would seem to be an invitation to ingrowns...and I was empirical proof of that.

So...IME -- even with sensitive skin -- real-blade shaving is better than cart shaving on all levels.

But...do what works for you!! There are no rules...heck, B&B has a whole forum dedicated to cart shaving...

Again...welcome. And come back often and hang out.

I started shaving with my father's straight razor and SE.

When I bought my own razor it was a Gillette adjustable. Initially, I set it on "3" and it was "bad".
I have sensitive skin ... but while fooling around with the settings I put it up to "9" and everything went from "bad" to "great".
Subsequently, I moved it to "7" and it has remained there evermore. Point being, I think sensitive skin likes sharp because there is less razor drag.

Top Bottom