What's new

Most precise - Safety razor or Straight razor?

Hello!

I used to shave with a safety razor + a 'safety razor' without safety bars for the areas where I needed more precision such as the sideburns.

I have recently started to shave with a straight trying to find less irritation and to check if I could have the same precision than with my safety razor (without safety bars). After only a few shaves, I know it is too soon to decide so I wanted to know your opinion about that, please.

Do you think you can have the same or more precision with a straight razor rather than a safety razor without bars?

Many thanks,
J

precision in regards to what? line work on a beard? a level cut on a sideburn?

what type of point on the straight?

I think it's simply a matter of becoming proficient through practice on whatever system you're using. when it comes to straights, anything but a round point lets you get the toe right where you want it to be. but again.... practice breeds proficiencies.

Last edited:
I'd say a straight or a shavette is more precise. Lots of DEs have really bulky heads (I'm looking at you Fatboy) but a straight you can line up with nothing to interfear.

If you have a steady hand you can be incredibly precise with a spike point straight with a good edge on it.

Thanks for your replies.

I am using a straight razor with a round point since I am still in learning phase. I will switch to one with spike point when having more experience and I guess I will find out if I manage to have the same results then.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
When you get the square point, make sure the tip is 'muted'. This is just putting a 45 degree angle on the tip that is the width of the bevel. It will then be as mild as a round point and easier to trim with.

Good luck sir!

Cheers, Steve

If you're going to mute the square/spike point, I would suggest running the tip through a cork, rather than introducing a visible 45-degree deformation there. That way, you can always bring it back as intended.

I've been using a Merkur DE safety razor for 10 years and only recently started using shavette. I didn't have any major problems with the transition but I just can't seem to get my sideburns evened out so every few days I have to switch back to DE...

[MENTION=110559]Tahitian[/MENTION] just a DE with no guard under blade edge just a top cap and a bottom plate to sandwich the blade. Some people cut their bars or comb teeth off and a few are sold that way. Also can removal bottom plate and put a washer between handle and blade.
$cxQjmXZ.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom