What's new

Trading my EJ DE89 - Help me chose.

I chose a DE89 as my starter razor. I initially purchased a Kelvin, but the handle was too short. Unfortunately, I still find the handle on the DE89 too short for my liking. When I hold it where it feels just right, it starts to slip down because it is so slippery. It slides down my fingers until they hit the grove at the top, but at that position the bottom of the handle will not rest on my pinky. I just does not feel right and I constantly have to adjust the positioning.

I bought a Maggard MR18 handle and I finally found a length that feels good in my hand. I'm thinking that the best thing to do now is to get a Maggard head, probably a V3A, for the new handle. I'll trade the DE89 for something else...just to see what else is out there.

What do you guys suggest? I'm looking for something with either a Knurled handle (if of the same length of the DE89) or with a longer handle.

Find yourself a vintage Lady Gillette. Same head as the Super Speed, but with a longer handle, and pretty colors and stars, if you don't mind that.

Merkur 38C was my "next up" razor following the same Edwin Jagger.

Was my go to for quite some time before pulling the trigger on a BBS-1.

RazoRock Mission. Cant go wrong with this one. Handle is GREAT not to long nor to Short. Knurling on the handle is perfect
Plus it's A Great Shave..

RazoRock Mission. Cant go wrong with this one. Handle is GREAT not to long nor to Short. Knurling on the handle is perfect
Plus it's A Great Shave..

+1 I've own the RazoRock Mission 3 piece safety razor the weight and balance is fantastic for $20USD :thumbup:

proxy.php

ATT handles.

Also, consider a custom stone or wood handle from Elite Razor. Very cool stuff.

$2129b-300x300.jpg

Last edited:
I'll suggest trying a different grip. I love a short handle myself, but I always choke up on a razor. I grip almost at the head with 2 fingers and a thumb, and let the handle rest against my palm. Sometimes my pinky touches it and some times it doesn't. To me this just feels more right. e\Even back in my cart days, I always thought my m3 felt to long. As always though YMMV.

Thanks for the replies. When I can create a post in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum (I cant post there yet) I'll keep the suggestions above in mind.

I think that what I will do for now is buy a DE3D14BL -- that should take care of the slippery grip.

Top Bottom