What's new

Single Edge Razor vs Double Edge Razor

Both are great. One day I prefer one and one day the other.
Now between shaving creams vs shaving soaps- thats not even a question ...

I prefer DE's. Just seem to work easier and better for me than SE's. Neither is inherently better, just comes down to personal preference.

I use both, and have started using DEs again, since I have so many DE blades to use up.

I prefer SEs. The blade is stiffer. The audible feedback is louder. Finding the correct shaving angle is more natural. The PTFE-coated SS SE blades are among the best blades ever.

Aggressive SEs are not as hard on my face as aggressive DEs.

I still can't get along with open-comb razors, SE or DE.

I find single edge shaving to be superior in every way. The thicker stiffer blade will take a keener edge that lasts longer, there is no blade chatter, the blades are easier to handle, and the resulting shaves are both closer and smoother. In most cases there is more audible feedback.

There is a much greater variety with single edge razors. There are the classics using the Gem style blade, the Valet Auto-Strops, wedge blade razors (my favorite), injector razors, and now modern single edge razors using the Feather Artist Club style blade (Cobra, Mongoose, etc).

I feel strongly enough about this that last fall I sold all my DE's and now use single edge razors exclusively.

--Bob

I prefer SE's and get a superior shave with them.

That said I recently picked up my DE's again to use up my 100+ blades and have found them to give a good shave.

I prefer DE. I get great shaves from vintage Gillettes. Schick injectors always seem to leave me with a couple nicks and irritation. I'm giving them another shot with a Hydro-magic so my preference might change.

I hunt in the wild and grab whatever I find that is cheap enough. I probably shave with DE half the time and SE the other half. I don't really have a preference to one or the other. I'm not chasing BBS or looking for the perfect razor, I just want something I can get a CCS to DFS in 2 passes with a little cleanup. I have found several of each capable of doing that. I'm just having fun shaving my way through history.

Top Bottom