What's new

I love my Tabac

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Between cream and soap to me the winner is the soap in terms of overall performance. But sadly both a have a scent that is "not my cup of tea".

The first product line I am actually considering leaving the soap rounds out to allow the fragrance to dissipate... As an improvement!

Between cream and soap to me the winner is the soap in terms of overall performance. But sadly both a have a scent that is "not my cup of tea".

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Have you tried many soaps/creams? I feel like tabac doesn't hold a candle to the artisan stuff.

I have and Tabac soap set the bar for performance for me. I can't speak for the cream, as I have not tried it. Sure you may find that you get the odd one to preform better but that is not the norm IMO.

I have not found another soap or cream that beats Tabac soap by any substantial margin in the performance category. Many come close or are equals.... I'm sure that the scent makes it or breaks it for many. I love the scent but I also feel that the soap gives a slightly slicker experience when compared to the cream of the same name. The difference is minimal though.

That being said, I have tried a lot of artisan soaps but not many high end soaps or creams. I like Castle Forbes cream, but that's about as expensive as I get. I find Castle Forbes close to equal in performance to Tabac, maybe a little less slick.

Have you tried many soaps/creams? I feel like tabac doesn't hold a candle to the artisan stuff.
Yes I have many, many creams, soaps not as many, mainly Stirling's, MWF, Cella, Col Conks, and a few others. My go to used to be Tobs creams, Proraso, and Real Shaving Co., which is no longer available. My trip to Pasteurs(34th st.) opened my eyes to different creams from different parts of the world. My favorite creams so far are from India and Germany. Hence, I fell in love with the scent and performance of Tabac.

I have not found another soap or cream that beats Tabac soap by any substantial margin in the performance category. Many come close or are equals.... I'm sure that the scent makes it or breaks it for many. I love the scent but I also feel that the soap gives a slightly slicker experience when compared to the cream of the same name. The difference is minimal though.

That being said, I have tried a lot of artisan soaps but not many high end soaps or creams. I like Castle Forbes cream, but that's about as expensive as I get. I find Castle Forbes close to equal in performance to Tabac, maybe a little less slick.

I've found a few that will outperform it but I would rate it up with MdC for performance but below Valorbra, Xpec, Klar Seinfen, SV and Cade. For the price it's very hard to beat.

I have found most artisan soaps to be fair to good with a few excellent, and many poor as well, so you can't really group them all together under one banner. I would say Jeeves of Hudson Street and Stirling will outperform it and there are some like MdC, CB, Maggard's, Tiki and PAA that perform just as well but I don't think there are a lot that really are better let alone that much better. I've tried dozens of artisan brands and few I have found to be particularly shining (note that I don't consider Haslinger, SV, or Klar to be artisan and they do outperform Tabac).

IMHO, Tabac sets the gold standard for ease-of-lathering and slickness/protection. I swear it starts to lather itself as soon as I start soaking the brush! :001_smile And it provides superior slickness and protection, with a long-lasting lather.

My only "artisan" is Stirling Barbershop, which I just started to use...and I love it!! If -- overall -- Tabac is a 100, then my Stirling is a 93 (and getting better with each use).

For post-shave face-feel alone, I would rate the Stirling a 96 and Tabac a 90...(just for the record, the post-shave face-feel champ is MWF...100!)

My $0.02...

IMHO, Tabac sets the gold standard for ease-of-lathering and slickness/protection. I swear it starts to lather itself as soon as I start soaking the brush! :001_smile And it provides superior slickness and protection, with a long-lasting lather.

My only "artisan" is Stirling Barbershop, which I just started to use...and I love it!! If -- overall -- Tabac is a 100, then my Stirling is a 93 (and getting better with each use).

For post-shave face-feel alone, I would rate the Stirling a 96 and Tabac a 90...(just for the record, the post-shave face-feel champ is MWF...100!)

My $0.02...

A little off topic, but I think my favorite aftershave is Stirling barbershop, I absolutely love the scent, though I cant pin it down. I could take a bath in that stuff, just wish the bottle was larger:w00t:

I actually like the cream much better than the soap, mostly b/c I can't get past the scent of the soap. I know a lot of people seem to like it but its a no go for me.

I've found a few that will outperform it but I would rate it up with MdC for performance but below Valorbra, Xpec, Klar Seinfen, SV and Cade. For the price it's very hard to beat.
Yes, I do not believe I have tried any from that list. Those are pretty pricey I believe. Which of those do you think is the slickest of that bunch? Slickness is my favorite attribute and I also like strong scent as well.

Yes, I do not believe I have tried any from that list. Those are pretty pricey I believe. Which of those do you think is the slickest of that bunch? Slickness is my favorite attribute and I also like strong scent as well.
Xpec is the slickest IMO.

thanks, I think that may be my first foray into the top shelf creams.

Just be aware that Xpec is one of the most expensive creams on the market but it's cheaper to get it from the UK right now. The other soaps I mentioned are almost as slick and somewhat less expensive as well.

Agree!

i have tried Speick, Van Der Hagen, Cella, Tabac and today I opened up a fresh tub of TOBS due to hype and...

the TOBS was better than the others, lathered up well, but Tabac is still the slickest and probably the gold standard,

Cremo is slicker but that is my "in a hurry slap on" cream.

Agree!

i have tried Speick, Van Der Hagen, Cella, Tabac and today I opened up a fresh tub of TOBS due to hype and...

the TOBS was better than the others, lathered up well, but Tabac is still the slickest and probably the gold standard,

Cremo is slicker but that is my "in a hurry slap on" cream.

TOBS is a lathering monster. I agree that the Tabac is slicker.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I found Mama Bears soaps to leave a residual lubrication after the lather is gone. I tried that with Tabac and nicked myself up. Don't misunderstand stand me, I still like Tabac and I wouldn't PIF. But what I would or will do is share a good thing. I like to see someone else get the same pleasure I get from shaving and using the soaps I use. I told a friend last week that he had to get some Tabac. The scent of Tabac is polerizing. When I smell it, there is something about the fragrance I don't like, but then there is much more of the fragrance I do like.

Top Bottom