What's new

Great Xpec-tations - first Impressions

I received Xpec last week and decided to give it a first spin today. The first thing everyone always comments on is that scent and I've heard one person claim it smelled like lemon-lime cleaner. At first sniff I can say it could give that impression but after a bit more sampling it's definitely a citrus, floral and moss blend and not a lemon-lime cleaner scent. After starting to lather it in a bowl it actually became very pleasant, it was just too concentrated in the container.

So, scent wasn't as bad as it's reputation and, in fact, I like it but I also like Tabac so there's that.:tongue_sm So the lathering was very easy and it didn't take a lot of product to get a great lather going. It was definitely slick and the razor glide was very smooth and easy. Overall, I would say it was a great shave but the cushion wasn't the greatest but due to the slickness it wasn't an issue. Post shave was one of the best I've ever experienced and one of the few that made me feel that I didn't even need an AS and considering how dry it is in my house right now that's saying a lot. There were no signs of irritation or redness after the shave and I was very pleased with the performance.

The last question I guess is about the value for the price, is it worth the money? It's actually cheaper to get it from Europe right now than the US and I paid $55 Canadian to have it delivered from Connaught in the UK. I've heard that it is around $40 US due to exchange. So for less than I paid for MdC or Nuavia I would say it's performance would be similar for less but I'm not sure how long it will last since it's a cream and not a soap. It is highly concentrated and seems more of a croap so it should last longer than a typical cream. So, overall, I would say I'm happy for what I got for the money but those on a tighter budget or just not interested in paying a premium price you can definitely do without it and find great products at a lower price point.

I would say that this is currently my top cream.:thumbup1:

A top cream for myself as well, but i use the unscented. Great post shave feeling, just wish i was able to try the discontinued version.

A top cream for myself as well, but i use the unscented. Great post shave feeling, just wish i was able to try the discontinued version.

I agree with you KushFather. The discontinued(old) version of the XPEC Unscented has always been my favorite(in addition to SMN). However,I have both versions of the Unscented and I definitely prefer the discontinued older version. The new XPEC is very good,but the old version was unequaled in performance quality,IMO.

Craig

I agree with you KushFather. The discontinued(old) version of the XPEC Unscented has always been my favorite(in addition to SMN). However,I have both versions of the Unscented and I definitely prefer the discontinued older version. The new XPEC is very good,but the old version was unequaled in performance quality,IMO.

Craig

How is SMN facial properies compared to XPEC? Im looking for a new luxury cream or soap to get and am fixed on either SMN or ABC.

How is SMN facial properies compared to XPEC? Im looking for a new luxury cream or soap to get and am fixed on either SMN or ABC.

I would go with SMN first, it's often rated higher by people who have used both and it's a better price when you look at the cost per unit.

I would go with SMN first, it's often rated higher by people who have used both and it's a better price when you look at the cost per unit.

Wow. I didnt ever realize it, but there is only 100 ml of ABC. Will deff go with SMN....or ADP....now im confused lol.

Wow. I didnt ever realize it, but there is only 100 ml of ABC. Will deff go with SMN....or ADP....now im confused lol.

You might also want to consider RazoRock's recreation of SMN, Santa Maria Del Flora which seems to be very similar in performance. I have it and it's a great soap. I'm getting SMN soon so I can let you know how they compare.

I do a luxury soaps/creams review series on another site. I'd rank the ones you mention as follows:

SMN (V3)
XPEC/ADP
ABC Cream

Last edited:
Top Bottom