What's new

A day on the river - warning pic heavy

Hi everyone, thought it easier to start a new thread rather than bombard the Let's see your bird pictures thread.

Recently went up to the Riverland and remembered to take the Nikon with me, hoping to practice some "bird in flight" shots.

Managed to get a couple, and some nice non-flight pictures too. Hopefully I've correctly identified them all, they seemed to match the fieldguide I was using.

Australian Magpie

proxy.php

proxy.php

Crimson ('yellow') Rosella (Juvenile?)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Willie Wagtail

proxy.php

proxy.php

Purple Swamphen

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Galah

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Galah and Noisy Miner

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Noisy Miner

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Eastern Reef Rgret

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Australian Pelican

proxy.php

Eurasian Coot

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Welcome Swallow

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Crested Pigeon

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Not too sure on this one, based on the speckling I think it could be a juvenile Eastern Reef Egret, but not sure....

proxy.php

proxy.php

Rock Dove

proxy.php

Finally, not a bird, but a rabbit

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks for looking everyone. As always, thoughts, comments and hints/tips for improvement are always welcome :thumbsup:

Besides the fact it's awesome on it's own, the fact that you can identify them is even cooler! I'm not good with 'in flight' yet so that's great too!
:thumbup:

Nice Andy, Love the "take off" pictures

Thanks Dave, am really enjoying the better lens. Was fortunate to be able to capture them taking off, must have been the noisy AF that scared them :lol:

some birds quite different than what we see in north america!
thanks for posting!

Besides the fact it's awesome on it's own, the fact that you can identify them is even cooler! I'm not good with 'in flight' yet so that's great too!
:thumbup:

Thanks, recently picked up several field guides for Australian birds, while I generally can't identify most at the time, a little time with the guides afterwards does wonders.

Looks like a good day, Cash. Thanks for posting.

Hey! Niced pics. But many of them are underexposed or exposed too much. Many of the main aobjects (birds of course :D) are in the shadow. But I can see your patience in taking those pictures, great job!

Thanks, sadly most of the under/over exposure was due to post editing. Am using a rather old laptop that I can't seem to calibrate the screen properly. Looks great on my screen, but not the best on others. Should be fixed soon with the purchase of a new computer :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info re: shadows, was taking in the evening, and then early next morning, so some work is needed there :thumbsup:

Very nice, Andy! That's a whole lot of birds I have never seen before:001_smile

Thanks Warren! :thumbsup:

It is amazing how different the birds are depending on location, the river is around 2 hours drive from home. While some of the birds are the same, there are many that I hadn't seen before.

The one that surprised me the most was the Purple Swamp Hen, certainly an interesting looking species. Something like an overgrown chicken dipped in Noodlers fountain pen ink :lol:

At first glance I thought the Crested Pigeon in the first shot was falling backwards into the water! thought it's pointed head plumage was it's beak and the brown dead reed was a leg:blushing:

At first glance I thought the Crested Pigeon in the first shot was falling backwards into the water! thought it's pointed head plumage was it's beak and the brown dead reed was a leg:blushing:

Looking back at it Warren, I can see it :001_smile

Cool collection, all new to me, never seen any of those before, well except for the furry one, amazingly similar to the ones i see outside the house.

Nicely done, thanks for sharing!
dave

Two more pictures taken the same day, not bird related, but still nice.

Pictures are of a Mirror sailing dinghy (not me pictured, but the one I'm going to learn to sail in)

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom