What's new

Planning a quick trip to Houston in August. Suggestions?

Gents,

SWMBO and I are considering a 4-6 day trip to Houston in early August. Hoping/planning to take in an Astros game and a concert at NRG stadium. Other than that, our schedule is wide open. Looking for feedback/suggestions...

How is transit? Better off renting a car?
Considering booking a condo on AirBNB. Areas to avoid? Considering somewhere close to Minute Maid park possibly.
Must see/do recommendations?
Food/drink suggestions? We generally gravitate to pub/beer style joints FWIW.

As mentioned, it'll be a pretty quick trip, so hoping to see/do as much as we can in our limited time. Likely flying in on a Thursday, Astros game that evening, concert Friday evening, spend Saturday/Sunday exploring, and fly out mid-day Monday.

Thanks in advance!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
When we visit for the Astros we stay downtown at the Magnolia. About a 5 block leisure stroll to Minute Maid. They have valet parking and the hotel has breakfast included, 2 free drinks nightly, and milk and cookies after the game.
As far as must visit/see: The Holocaust Museum--I have never left with a dry eye. In Hermann Park there is a Museum of Natural Science and History, a Buffalo Soldier Museum, a butterfly planetarium, and a fine arts museum (incredible) and an IMAX. I think that there is also a Wax Museum. And of course; the Houston Zoo.
For us the Holocaust Museum is pretty much a full day. Probably 3 or 4 hours if you like reading. They also have a replica rail car in the back.
Our 1st visit we were welcomed by a survivor!
Just relax and enjoy!!
Eat at the Cheesecake Factory and the Fogo de Chao!! Those 2 are must eats!!

We will be there in July for the 3 games against the Yankees!!!!
marty

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We want to do the same. Spend the night in Brenham were they make Blue Bell Ice a Cream. Tour the factory then head out for a night Astros game. Sorry I can't help too much when it comes to Houston. I'm more of a Central/South Texan.

Traffic is awful!!!!! Dana gave some pretty solid suggestions of places to visit and Fogo de Chao is a meat lovers paradise!!

Houston can be fairly miserable in August (I live just south of there now). I would recommend renting a car because while public transit is available Houston is quite spread out so if you do much sight seeing you will not save money taking a cab. All of the museums are great as mentioned before. I would recommend an evening in Galveston if you like pub/bar style joints plus you get the ocean breeze.

The best steak house in town is "Taste of Texas" and it's fairly casual. Eat at any of the "Papa" locations although Papadeux's is my favorite. Eat BBQ, Ray's or Papa Charlie's.

I'm not sure what you like doing but regardless you should be able to find it in and around Houston.

Traffic can be bad at times but I've found Houston to be easier to drive through than other big cities like Atlanta. Just try to avoid I-45 if you can and stay off the roads during the typical rush hours.
Avise La Fin

Like he said avoid I-45, at least as far south as League City. If you come to Houston learn how to get around without using the freeways. It is easy to do. Galveston, if you haven't been there visit the island. I've been going there all my life. I even spent 10 years there one week at UTMB with LOML.

Thanks for the suggestions all! Noted!

Schedule-wise, we're pretty firm on our dates, so we'll have to cope with the heat. If we go, we're planning to be there Aug 4-8, and plan to catch the Astros/Jays game on the 4th, and Guns N Roses show on the 5th. We just got back from a week in Cuba and it was 30-37*C (90-99*F), and got by just fine. Should we be expecting substantially higher than that?

We're pretty big into antiques/etc too. Any good antique shops/malls/etc or big flea market type places in the area?

Thanks again!

Temps might be to 100+F daytime. Traders Village on Eldridge Parkway weekends. Don't know about antiques there, never been. If you decide to go there again avoid I-45 and also HWY 290, you can get there from the downtown easily going other ways just takes longer unless there is a wreck or something on the freeways. 290 has a lot of construction.

Spent several weeks near Houston in Beaumont, Tx. during the summer months. The heat combined with the humidity can get pretty brutal if you are not accustomed to it.

If you want to check out a store that sells wet shaving products, British Isles is a retail store that, among other things, sells a lot of shaving supplies from the British Isles. It is on Rice Boulevard just outside of Rice University. I had never seen a store with so many wet shaving products...the Three Ts, MWF, Floris, DR Harris, St. James of London, etc. My wife love to shop there for household items.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
No one mentioned Johnson Space Center? If you do that, check out their website now. For a little bit more you can do the VIP tour, which goes places the regular tour doesn't.

Top Bottom