What's new

Brush pen beginner

So I've been wanting to get into calligraphy with brush pens and the only one I had was a Faber Castell with too big of a brush. [MENTION=34672]rickcharles606[/MENTION] was kind enough to send me some smaller tipped Kuretake brushes and even though I haven't had much time to practice I like them a lot more. Another display of generosity that makes this forum so great, and he's in the cigar biz to boot. Thanks for sending these Rick, as you can see I have a long way to go but these pens are definitely better than the one I was using.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Looks great! :thumbup: What ink did you use? Any chance of posting a picture of the pen?

I have my first brush pen in the mail as I type this. I should be getting it tomorrow or Saturday.

Looks good, Bud! The biggest thing with a brush pen is, wait for it.......practice;-) and patience lol. Oh and remember heavier hand on downstrokes and uber light on upstrokes. Those brush pens can give you a single hair line on the upstrokes once you get used to them.

Oh, something I heard on YouTube is that you don't write with brush pens, you are drawing individual lines that join to form letters and words. Good luck and the next time I'll send some sticks too ;-)

Looks good, Bud! The biggest thing with a brush pen is, wait for it.......practice;-) and patience lol. Oh and remember heavier hand on downstrokes and uber light on upstrokes. Those brush pens can give you a single hair line on the upstrokes once you get used to them.

Oh, something I heard on YouTube is that you don't write with brush pens, you are drawing individual lines that join to form letters and words. Good luck and the next time I'll send some sticks too ;-)

I've got one more busy week then things will slow down enough to where I can actually spend some quality time practicing. I want to get good enough that I can do my own cards by Christmas. These smaller brushes are a world of difference over the fat Faber-Castell,

Top Bottom