What's new

In Search Of "Prime" Brisket

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
With the popularity of smoking meats particularly beef brisket, I'm hard pressed to find an affordable "Prime" cut...and I live in the middle of cattle country. Sure you can find them on the internet, but most outfits want $125++. Unless I'm feeding the Governor that won't fly.

I guess I need to get buddy buddy with a local ranch. No, my brother (the rancher) is no help.

What is your experience with finding Prime brisket?

You win the lottery??? You can get a good quality Choice product at an insanely high price at HEB. Call Mike at Waco Beef and Pork processors, he can get whatever you need. Tell him Robert G in Ennis sent you.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
You win the lottery??? You can get a good quality Choice product at an insanely high price at HEB. Call Mike at Waco Beef and Pork processors, he can get whatever you need. Tell him Robert G in Ennis sent you.

Thanks Robert G. (now you can add your name to your signature). I can find a really quality choice cut for a wonderful price at my local butch here in Austin. But he doesn't carry Prime. HEB carries Prime but the size of their briskets are absolutely huge...which means an older cow.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
With the popularity of smoking meats particularly beef brisket, I'm hard pressed to find an affordable "Prime" cut...and I live in the middle of cattle country. Sure you can find them on the internet, but most outfits want $125++. Unless I'm feeding the Governor that won't fly.

I guess I need to get buddy buddy with a local ranch. No, my brother (the rancher) is no help.

What is your experience with finding Prime brisket?
I wouldn't waste the money on the governor, regardless who it is :biggrin:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Aren't you the governator of your own ranch? Just once, get a prime brisket!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Aren't you the governator of your own ranch? Just once, get a prime brisket!

No, my brother is the governator of his own ranch. I'm a big city dude now. He's not sharing any briskets due to a small heard. However he is bringing some New York strips over this Sunday.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
No, my brother is the governator of his own ranch. I'm a big city dude now. He's not sharing any briskets due to a small heard. However he is bringing some New York strips over this Sunday.

Mmm, that's a bummer!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Have you seen my governor? I would serve him rotten eggs and burnt toast.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Your governor seems well fed Jay. I'm not sure there is anything left live behind his glassed over eyes.

I wouldn't spend extra for prime brisket over choice if I'm BBQing it. My $0.02. Kind of the point of BBQ brisket... Take an "unwanted" cut and make it better.

I'll go hide now before the tar and feathers come out.

I'm not willing to take a bullet for you, chef... But that's been my thought every time I looked at this thread. I gladly pay big bucks for prime grade premium cuts but not so much for the rest of the prime beast.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I wouldn't spend extra for prime brisket over choice if I'm BBQing it. My $0.02. Kind of the point of BBQ brisket... Take an "unwanted" cut and make it better.

I'll go hide now before the tar and feathers come out.

I should have explained things a little better. In BBQ competition we like to use prime. In normal everyday BBQin' in the backyard I use a high grade choice with good results. But I would like to practice with a prime grade.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
$image.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Lookin' good there, Aaron. We don't have an HEB around here, and I didn't look for any brisket here around the Memorial Day holiday.

Enough teasing...that's see that puppy on the smoker!!!

Top Bottom