What's new

Looking for a good bay rum soap

So far, I've seen Green Mountain spiced rum and Captain's Choice. Any thoughts on those and other recommendations? I enjoy the bay rum scent and wouldn't mind sticking with that theme.

Stirling makes a Bay Rum soap. I've only sampled the AS but it was pretty good. A little sweeter than Captains Choice.
Barrister and Mann made a Bay Rum soap if you can find it.
Soap Commander Purpose is a bay rum, but I don't care for the take on it - too sweet for me.
Col Conk bay rum is much different and not up to the performance standards of some of the others.
Good luck!

Mystic Water has a very interesting and unique take on Bay Rum if you want to try something a bit different.
Good luck.

My favorite bay rum soap is Kramperts Finest, although the current Captains Choice is a close second. Based on other Stirling soaps I've tried, I'm sure their bay rum is a good performer, but I don't know about the scent. My favorite bay rum scent was the clovey bay rum of Ogallala but its performance isn't up to CC or Kramperts. I still consider Col Conk bay rum the worse performing and scented soap I ever tried and it remains the only soap I ever tossed after one use.

I've been using Col. Conk because I like the smell and it was a huge step up from Van Der Hagen.

But since I've tried other products (Taylor of Old Bond Street cream), I've developed quite the loathing for that soap's performance.

I have two bay rum soaps:

• Captain's Choice by Razorock. Great CC fragrance and a good performer. I don't believe this available any more.
  • Bebelush Barbershop Shave Soap with Shea, Mango and Cocoa Butter. Interesting scent: bay rum, orange and clove. Nice skin-care ingredients. Good performer.

I'm primarily a tallow soap guy, and these are veggie soaps, so they don't get a lot use...just once in a while, when the spirit moves. But they're both worth considering IMHO.

I agree with Captain's Choice Bay Rum and Barrister & Mann Bay Rum both being excellent choices. There are pretty much it for me in terms of high quality performing soaps with a bay rum scent that I actually like.

Guys, I can't thank you enough for the suggestions. For this soap binge, I've decided to try Captain's Choice, Green Mountain, and a Straight Razor Designs version that I can't remember the name of.

I'm still open to ideas, but I'm already going to get into trouble for buying this lot. 😎

Top Bottom