What's new

I have the equipment, at last: impressions and doubts

Hi!

I finally managed to get some wet shave equipment. I already had a shaving brush (normal/cheap one), which I'm considering replacing because I feel some scratching while spreading the lather.

I got:
- Wilkinson Sword Classic + 5 blades from the same brand
- Ach Brito Lavanda Cream

I find that I can only shave WTG, because when I do ATG I get some irritation and some skin cuts. I do two WTG passes and get a reasonable shave. Is there anyone that only shave WTG? Do you get a perfect shave?

What do you think about this blades? I'm considering buying some sample pack to understand which one is best for me. Do you recommend any online store with affordable prices? Some places have overpriced blades...

Thanks!

Well done. You're off to the races. Try an across the grain pass or two to see how that goes for you. Your Wilkie blades are fine. For a sampler, check out West Coast Shaving, eBay, or Tryablade.com

Hi!

I finally managed to get some wet shave equipment. I already had a shaving brush (normal/cheap one), which I'm considering replacing because I feel some scratching while spreading the lather.

I got:
- Wilkinson Sword Classic + 5 blades from the same brand
- Ach Brito Lavanda Cream

I find that I can only shave WTG, because when I do ATG I get some irritation and some skin cuts. I do two WTG passes and get a reasonable shave. Is there anyone that only shave WTG? Do you get a perfect shave?

What do you think about this blades? I'm considering buying some sample pack to understand which one is best for me. Do you recommend any online store with affordable prices? Some places have overpriced blades...

Thanks!
[MENTION=109587]hfsb[/MENTION] Welcome to Badger & Blade. It looks like you are off to a great start on your wet shaving adventures! I suggest going WTG for a couple of weeks to maybe condition the skin. Also I would venture that you are using too much pressure. With a double edge razor you want to use a light touch with multiple passes. After you feel comfortable WTG try to incorporate an across the grain or an against the grain. Each of us has to figure out the growth pattern of our hair. At any rate...glade to have you here and don't hesitate to ask questions!

Hi, welcome to B&B
The Wilkinson Sword Classic is usually quite forgiving, possibly less pressure or try changing the angle slightly
Wilkinson Sword blades are very good quality, they are one of only 5 blades that I can get 4 good shaves each out of, the other 4 being Personna, Feather, Bic Chrome and Gillette 7 O'Clock Green
It may be worth trying out different blades to find which ones are best suited to you
Use the blades you're most comfortable with to develop your technique and keep the others in reserve
A few months later, go back to the blades that you were uncomfortable with and you may find that they perform differently with experience
Above all else, don't give up - persistence pays !!

In the beginning it's all about patience. If you are getting cuts from your WTG pass, I think you need to focus on angle, pressure, and lather. Can you share a little of your routine?

Welcome! Echoing what everyone else has said: pressure, angle (keep top of the razor pretty close to your face, not the safety bar) and try across the grain. My first attempts were really raw chasing a smooth shave and against the grain. Once I got better at going across, the against came much easier (I think it was angle and pressure related, but with and across are more forgiving).

Welcome! The most likely issues are either blade angle or too much pressure? Suggest you read the wiki.

IME the German Wilkinson blades are terrific!

Don't get discouraged! DE takes awhile to master!

Welcome to B&B.

Usually, it is a technique issue that gives rise to problems a new shaver is having. Putting too much pressure on your razor will result in cuts, nicks, and irritation. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I find that using the correct grip can make a big difference. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can so that it stays on your face and without it falling from your hand. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you.

If you haven't already done so, look at the wiki for blade angle advice. The correct angle will help you get a good shave with fewer problems with irritation and cuts.

Today I've tried going ATG with no pressure and got a nice closer shave with no major cuts (only red bumps). I also got razor burn in some areas. Probably I'm not preparing my face well.

In the beginning it's all about patience. If you are getting cuts from your WTG pass, I think you need to focus on angle, pressure, and lather. Can you share a little of your routine?

I start by filling the washbasin with warm water. I put my safety razor and shaving brush there for a few minutes and then I start preparing the lather. I wash my face with some warm water and then I apply the lather (with wet face). I start shaving with no pressure (at least I think I'm not doing it). In the end I apply some balm or lotion, it depends on the mood :)

I start by filling the washbasin with warm water. I put my safety razor and shaving brush there for a few minutes and then I start preparing the lather. I wash my face with some warm water and then I apply the lather (with wet face). I start shaving with no pressure (at least I think I'm not doing it). In the end I apply some balm or lotion, it depends on the mood :)

How would you describe your lather? Light or heavy? Thick or bubbly? Slicker or meh?

Have you ever tried alum? It isn't for everybody, but it does a pretty good job of letting you know whether your shave was rough on your face.

How would you describe your lather? Light or heavy? Thick or bubbly? Slicker or meh?

Have you ever tried alum? It isn't for everybody, but it does a pretty good job of letting you know whether your shave was rough on your face.

My lather looks like yogurt, light with no bubbles.

Welcome to B&B.

Usually, it is a technique issue that gives rise to problems a new shaver is having. Putting too much pressure on your razor will result in cuts, nicks, and irritation. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I find that using the correct grip can make a big difference. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can so that it stays on your face and without it falling from your hand. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you.

If you haven't already done so, look at the wiki for blade angle advice. The correct angle will help you get a good shave with fewer problems with irritation and cuts.
+1

Welcome to B&B.

As always impeccable advice

Welcome to B&B! I can get a pretty decent shave on WTG only passes. Many guys experience trouble going ATG. I'd recommend some XTG passes. With good technique that will likely get you a DFS.

There are a variety of popular blades in both sample pack links that you provided. My sample pack from Amazon was about $20 USD and have 7 brands, 5 blades each. So the price of your packs look good to me. The pack in the first link might be slightly better than the brands in the second link, but blades are very subjective. 80% of people using brand A might say it's the most amazing blade in the world while you might think it isn't sharp enough or gentle enough on your skin. But you are on the right path by getting a sample pack to see which ones might work for you.

Top Bottom