What's new

Recommend a Light Moisturizer for Oily / Combination skin?

I'm looking for a moisturizer that won't leave me feeling greasy, and that maybe has oil-controlling properties. I tend to be sensitive to fragrances, so something that uses only herbal/botanical scents is ideal.

I've tried Neutrogena Oil-free with spf15, and it left me really greasy, despite being "oil free".

I'm allergic to something in Oil of Olay, Nivea for Men shaving balm is waaaay too strongly scented, and CeraVe and Cetaphil quite literally stink, so they are all no-go.

So, with all that in mind, do you have any recommendations? What are your favorite skin-care products?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Sounds to me what you're looking for is simply some Thayer's Brand Witch Hazel. It's alcohol free, so it won't dry. It has glycerin and other goodies which will lightly moisturize your skin without being greasy/oily. And the witch hazel will tone & brace your skin, giving you that after-the-shave finishing, kinda feel it sounds like your looking for.

You can get it at General Nutrition Center retail stores, Adkins Health Food Store, Whole Foods, Sprouts or Natural Grocers. It comes in Peach, Rose, Cucumber, Lavender & Lemon, which all are very mild scents without heavy fragrance oils. Just the botanicals that you described.

Thayer's have a Superhazel Aftershave also, but it has alcohol added.

Last edited:
I thought I had oily / combo skin too. Turns out what I really had was dehydrated skin and my body was overcompensating with oil production. My first advice is that whatever you try, give it a few weeks before coming to any decisions. It takes a while for your skin to adjust to a new product. Don't use it for 3 or 4 days and decide it's too oily. It may just be that your skin is still overproducing oil, and you've now added a moisturizer that makes it feel worse. You have to give your skin some time to realize it doesn't need all of the extra oil production.

All that said, I've had the best luck with plain old Nivea Creme. Not the men's version, just the blue tub/tin.

$moisture 001.jpgI have to first admit that I am a faithful user of all Paul Mitchell's products. This Tea Tree hair and body moisturizer is a fantastic product. I use it as an after shave balm, hair dressing (leave in conditioner). Last but not least a face moisturizer. I love the smell of tea tree. Of course if you don't, this won't work for you. As for me I swear by this product. Just a view from the cheap seats.

Top Bottom