What's new

My Next Project

Well, the good news is that SWMBO has taken to using soaps and creams and applying them with a shave brush. She even found one that fits her hands perfectly and looks very ladylike in appearance.

View attachment 654687

Now the bad news is that she tried shaving with said Brush and after it dried from her first shave.......... POOF! The hairs started falling out like rain. So Now I have boiled it, removed the knot and cleaned it out pretty good, still a little more leftovers to get out of the very bottom with some acetone but I have time for that as I have No Clue where to acquire a really nice 16mm Knot From. I would prefer a very dense silvertip for her but a truly nice boar would also work well.

Here is the base cleanup as it sits now awaiting an acetone soak to remove the final bits of old epoxy:

$20160426_204203-1.jpg

Nice handle! That's going to look great with a new knot in it. As for the knot, I know TGN has Silvertip and finest knots in 16mm.

Nice handle! That's going to look great with a new knot in it. As for the knot, I know TGN has Silvertip and finest knots in 16mm.

Thank you so very much, I actually called them and found out that their knots glue plug is actually a bit smaller than the actual size of the knot stated on the site so I ordered an 18mm as I measured the opening after cleaning everything out at about 18.5mm so he said it should fit. Once it gets here and I get it set in place I will post photos of the completed project:001_smile

I've made a few handles with both TGN finest and premium silvertip knots, you (and she) won't be disappointed. Be sure to post finished pics, I'm thinking it's going to look pretty nice!

I've made a few handles with both TGN finest and premium silvertip knots, you (and she) won't be disappointed. Be sure to post finished pics, I'm thinking it's going to look pretty nice!

Thank you very much, from the looks of them I am very confident that it will be a perfect match for this handle.

Here is the progress thus far after finishing cleaning out the hollow handle with some acetone to remove the remaining ancient epoxy residue that was left inside. I also polished it up quite a bit with some Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish to restore it to as good a condition as I am able at the moment. I then filled the void with some new epoxy in order to prepare a very solid and strong base for the new knot when it arrives hopefully in the next few days. I ordered the Grade A Silvertip so I am quite sure that she will love using this brush once it is completed.

I sanded the rim of the opening as it was horribly ragged and I do not want it to damage the new knot so it is now silky smooth as well.

$20160427_142220-1.jpg

$20160427_142158-1.jpg

Looking great! It's always nice when you can see your reflection taking a picture on the handle. That brush is going to be sweet! Anxious for the finished pix.

Looking great! It's always nice when you can see your reflection taking a picture on the handle. That brush is going to be sweet! Anxious for the finished pix.

Looks great!! Looking forward to seeing the finished brush.

Thank you very much Gents, the knot came in today and I got a test fit photo and one of it having it's conditioner soak after being set into place in the handle. It looks as if this one will come out very nicely indeed.:thumbup:

Test Fit Photo and this is with the knot right out of the envelope:

$20160429_151216-1.jpg

And after being fully set into place and then washed and loaded with conditioner for it's all night soak. Will wash and post after Bloom pics tomorrow morning
$20160429_210854-1.jpg

A very good morning to all. Woke up and rinsed and washed the brush this morning and I am going to concede that the TGN Knot is definitely a terrific little knot. The only part of this project that I am not really the happiest with is that the epoxy slightly invaded the base of the knot, however, on a plus side that did add a small amount of backbone to this brush so over all it is mostly just an aesthetic gripe rather than functional. It did bloom very nicely though, that is for darned sure.

$20160430_070903-1.jpg

$20160430_070922-1.jpg

$20160430_070909-1.jpg

SO this one is a success I think, I will be testing it out this morning for my shave and I have high hopes for this one being a great performer:thumbup:

Well, the good news is that SWMBO has taken to using soaps and creams and applying them with a shave brush. She even found one that fits her hands perfectly and looks very ladylike in appearance.

View attachment 654687

Now the bad news is that she tried shaving with said Brush and after it dried from her first shave.......... POOF! The hairs started falling out like rain. So Now I have boiled it, removed the knot and cleaned it out pretty good, still a little more leftovers to get out of the very bottom with some acetone but I have time for that as I have No Clue where to acquire a really nice 16mm Knot From. I would prefer a very dense silvertip for her but a truly nice boar would also work well.

Here is the base cleanup as it sits now awaiting an acetone soak to remove the final bits of old epoxy:

View attachment 654688
Now she needs to join Badger :thumbup:

Now she needs to join Badger :thumbup:

LMAO I don't think that will ever happen, she doesn't do social media LOL

Nicely done! I'm a big fan of TGN knots, it's hard to be the cost/performance of them.

This is my first TGN knot to be honest and with the performance i got from this little monster tonight it is very likely to NOT be my last. This thing just blew up with lather tonight.

Well done! I love both of my TGN Badgers, and my TGN boar is coming along nicely as well! Your's looks fantastic!

Thank you so much, this one is SWMBO's but I am likely to order a TGN to put into another handle just for me because this thing was EPIC tonight:thumbup1:

I have done a few more brushes since I last posted in here and I Figure I better go ahead and upload the Latest.

Here is my Latest Hand Made brush for my Use with a TGN Finest 24mm Bulb:

$20160703_095648.jpg

The Latest I made for my Oldest Son with a Maggard's 24mm Synthetic
$20160711_174904.jpg

And the Latest Creation project dubbed by my Youngest Son "Goliath" as you can see it definitely has earned that name at 111 Grams with no knot yet and a 37mm Outer Diameter which will likely be getting a 30mm or larger knot LOL.
$20160717_172357.jpg

View attachment 674324

Below is Goliath next to my Rubberset 400 LMAO

Attachments

• $20160717_192642.jpg
    $20160717_192642.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 82
Top Bottom