What's new

Horse hair

Have any of you had any experience with horse? I was wanting to restore my new Solid-Set with a horse hair knot. Is VS the way to go?

Brent; Horse hair does quite well, and finding a donor brush should be neither expensive nor difficult. West Coast shaving should have some with the correct diameter knot. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbrown $Fuller Butterscotch Catalin Art Deco Style Horse Hair Shaving Brush with Stand.jpg

So... My VS horse hair knots (3) and synthetic are sitting in my mailbox at home! Stoked to get My solid-set and Ever-ready C40 restored this weekend! Not sure what I'm going to use the others for yet, but I'm sure I can find something...

I got a Chinese wooden handled horsehair brush for €3,75 at auction on eBay, I checked the seller's listings and he usually sells them for €5,50.
It's a Chinese "bargain basement" brush whichever way you look at it, so I wasn't expecting miracles.
I was very impressed with it's performance- after reading up on horsehair brushes, I lathered in a "painting" motion instead of a circular one.
It produced a "Santa's Beard" with very little effort, it's especially effective with a La Toja shaving stick !!
It's ok for bowl lathering, but it comes into it's own for face lathering, so I use mine exclusively for face lathering, and leave the bowl lathering to the badger brushes.
If the results I've seen from my Chinese brush are anything to go by, one day I'll treat myself to a Vie Long

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I Love My 3 Horse Hairs
one is a Zenith and it is My Favorite of all My brushes
I also have Ve-Long that is Very nice and is probably close to the top of My list
and I have one that I re-Knoted ,I got knot from V.S . in China $IMG_4310.jpg

OK ill bite....how stiff is the horse hair compared to lets say Badger? I've been around horses for years and tail/mane hair is anything but soft so I would suspect they may process it somehow or something?

I'll set it today, pics later (have to finish my C40 and synthetic as well). And [MENTION=108056]6Cuda6[/MENTION] the hair feels really soft, way more than I expected. I'll let you know how it breaks in.

Alright, got a bit carried away. Knots haven't been set yet, but here's where they're going! (Synthetic on the left, horse for the others)

proxy.php

proxy.php

Brent- I wanted to check back on your restoration progress- fantastic job or jobs! I guess I'll need to hop in the car and head to C-Springs when it comes time for drilling on my teeth... God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Brent- I wanted to check back on your restoration progress- fantastic job or jobs! I guess I'll need to hop in the car and head to C-Springs when it comes time for drilling on my teeth... God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Thanks, Tony! Sadly, I haven't made it back to the hardware store to pick up epoxy yet (I ran out of JB Weld). As soon as I do, I will set the knots. I'm excited to see how the horse works, as well as the VS synthetic.

My Fuller horsehair shaving brush lathers well, but you do notice that the hairs are coarse. It is definitely an Art Deco style brush. It sports a taller style knot as well; not as full as the ones currently available. I do think that you will enjoy them because YOU did an outstanding job with their restorations! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I love it ,now you really do have a stable of brushes :thumbup:
I just stuffed another horse in a Ever-Ready c40 ,it is a 25mm that I set deep to avoid any floppiness
$IMG_5395.jpg$IMG_5396.jpg$IMG_5399.jpg$IMG_5401.jpg

Top Bottom