What's new

sports jacket and jeans

Okay, I am in need of some advice. I am hosting an anniversary party for my parents; its not a tremendously formal affair, but since it is for my parents and I am throwing it, I thought I would put a jacket on with a button down and jeans. Here is the question - what is an appropriate fabric and color sports jacket to wear with jeans?

Depending on your requirements for appearance, I could imagine you wearing a blue blazer, a tweed jacket or almost any other coloured jacket with jeans. If you are uncomfortable with the idea, khakis may be a better choice.

Depending on your requirements for appearance, I could imagine you wearing a blue blazer, a tweed jacket or almost any other coloured jacket with jeans. If you are uncomfortable with the idea, khakis may be a better choice.

Great advice. I personally prefer the look of khakis but a blazer always looks fine with jeans.

+1. Much more acceptable for the host, plus it is not that much more dressy IMO.

Tweed is done for the year, hang it up! If you're wearing a wool jacket then you need to wear dark jeans. If you are wearing a dark or light blue silk/linen jacket, white jeans have a great spring/summer look. Also, the jacket and jeans need to be fitted, not "dad" jeans. Nothing worse than the combo of "dad" jeans and blazer.

Tweed or traditional fabric pattern sports coats go really well with a pair of jeans. If real tweed is too hot then you can go for a tweed pattern made from cotton. Personally I think green, grey or brown are great options.

I fail to understand how a sports coat and jeans is a difficult look to pull off. It's a sports coat. They're designed to be worn with any well fitting pants/trousers. Host, party, fine dine to your hearts content in the combination... It's all good. If it isn't formal, the right jeans and coat are more than okay.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The trick to pulling off the look is picking the right pair of jeans.

The more the jeans look like dark, trim, unfaded and undistressed "pants"; the less they look like baggy, faded, worn, "I mow the lawn in these" work pants ... the better.

This guy gets it:

proxy.php

This guy doesn't:

proxy.php

I'm old school. I was taught that jeans are for farm hands and cowboys. I do ware them, but never for a formal, festive, or special occasion. I do like contrasting colors. For a blue jeans I would consider a grey sport coat.

I find it hard not to like these examples of the style done well;
$4a07e4310fd75beb66db084c8a81cfb0.jpg
$6a01156e30b64e970c01156e84a8a0970c.jpg

But I am not so sure that this one is something many people could pull off...
$Denim__387-copy.jpg

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I've never liked the jeans and sport coat look. Even worse, jeans and suit coat.

What's wrong with khakis? They are more comfortable than jeans and less informal than jeans.

However, the real key to pulling off nearly all of the above is having the right body. I'm sorry, but this is just the way it is. If you are fit and trim, then you could get away with "pull off" just about anything short of a toga, and with the right build even that could fly.

If you are the typical American "slightly" overweight type, then stick with khakis and a sport coat/blazer. Nearly any combo will work. Pick the coat that you feel most comfortable wearing.

If you have a well chiseled body, then make your own statement.

If you insist on jeans and a sport coat, then I would avoid dark colored coats. The look of almost matching colors is always worse than contrasting colors, so avoid the blue blazer. Linen, if you have it, would actually look very nice. Grey tweed would work and I also think something in a tan color might be doable.

I remain that there is absolutely NOTHING wrong if the right combination of jeans/coat is being worn at the time. Cast judgement all you want, but here I am playing at my good friend's casual (dress) wedding, as she signs her papers..... In jeans (((GASP))). I'm neither farmhand nor cowboy.

$Untitled.png

Last edited:
What's wrong with khakis? They are more comfortable than jeans and less informal than jeans.

:blink:

Jeans are probably the comfiest pant out there. Properly fit, they can be very clean looking with a blazer and intentionally less formal, which suits the vibe that the OP is looking for. Khakis always left me feeling frumpy. I'd wear chinos/dress/sweat pants before I wore khakis.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

Jeans are probably the comfiest pant out there. Properly fit, they can be very clean looking with a blazer and intentionally less formal, which suits the vibe that the OP is looking for. Khakis always left me feeling frumpy. I'd wear chinos/dress/sweat pants before I wore khakis.

Fresh out of a clothes hamper, anything will look frumpy. I have and wear everything from Carhartt work clothes to silk and cashmere blend suits.

Clothes can be very subjective and preference can change with the situation. I much prefer canvas work clothes when doing the type of work that demands it, but when hanging out in a casual manner I might wear khakis or jeans depending on my mood. Jeans obviously take a beating better and would be preferred to khakis if we decide to start a bon fire or play some type of yard game. Anything can be uncomfortable if sized incorrectly. I just find that a proper fitting pair of khakis that are neatly pressed can be very comfortable and a step up, style wise, from jeans.

I remain that there is absolutely NOTHING wrong if the right combination of jeans/coat is being worn at the time. Cast judgement all you want, but here I am playing at my good friend's casual (dress) wedding, as she signs her papers..... In jeans (((GASP))). I'm neither farmhand nor cowboy.

View attachment 654596

That's a great look, I also wear similar on the weekend when my wife and I go to dinner or party. I change it up during the late spring and summer with a nice white or cream jean and a linen blazer!! The key is for your clothes to be tailored to your body.

This!!

Top Bottom