What's new

A new kinda can of worms

I don't have much time as I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go but let's maybe define an artisan as someone:

Who needs to make something for themselves but sells the leftovers.

I agree the line can get blurred. For my own edification, I draw a clear line between artisan and mass-market. To me, TOBS, Trumper's, and Truefitt & Hill are mass-market, while Mike's natural soaps, Stirling, and CRSW are artisans.

While it's true that some of these artisans produce and ship a lot, I can live with an oversimplification that makes the world a lot easier to sort out in the relatively non-controversial world of shaving products. :001_smile

+1, and double that for the "relatively non-controversial" modifier. :wink2:

Yeah, don't get me started on other stuff. TOBS, Proraso, and PAA would run out of soap boxes before I finished.

It's confused me because at work we refer to "artisan trades", so like having an actual trade like myself as a carpenter, or an electrician, plumber, painter/decorator. I've always seen these as artisanal because they're "proper" trades opposed to 'working in IT' or just another bloke in a suit.

Relating this to soap i always imagine it hand made by like 3 guys (although i know this isn't often the case).

It's confused me because at work we refer to "artisan trades", so like having an actual trade like myself as a carpenter, or an electrician, plumber, painter/decorator. I've always seen these as artisanal because they're "proper" trades opposed to 'working in IT' or just another bloke in a suit.

Relating this to soap i always imagine it hand made by like 3 guys (although i know this isn't often the case).

I've never heard of construction trades referred to as artisan trades before. Artisan usually is in reference to crafting of end products so a cabinet maker or woodworker who makes toy trains or baby cribs would be an artisan but a construction carpenter would not from my experience.

If you can get the owner of the company on the phone or on a forum and he/she has a hand in the product...
I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's my perception! :001_smile
+1. This would generally be how I would make the distinction as well. When they personally sign your packing slip, are the ones who respond to emails about questions, or you see them all the time on the forums, that is what qualifies. If they don't do that sort of thing, then they have crossed the line into mass market territory.

Note: I have no problem with mass market brands and I don't base my purchasing decisions on company size (although I may based on longevity, such as choosing to try MWF or Cella since a 100+ year track record says something, and that does give a bit of an edge to some of the mass market companies).

I've never heard of construction trades referred to as artisan trades before. Artisan usually is in reference to crafting of end products so a cabinet maker or woodworker who makes toy trains or baby cribs would be an artisan but a construction carpenter would not from my experience.

It could be a 'millitarism' within my cap badge as i never heard it when i was working on civvi street but i think the first part of the definition fits it:

"a worker in a skilled trade, especially one that involves making things by hand."

I'd describe what i actually use my trade for as more artisinal than a construction job, it's just my 10p though.

It could be a 'millitarism' within my cap badge as i never heard it when i was working on civvi street but i think the first part of the definition fits it:

"a worker in a skilled trade, especially one that involves making things by hand."

I'd describe what i actually use my trade for as more artisinal than a construction job, it's just my 10p though.

Yeah, I did my time in the service and can certainly say that there are often huge difference between civi street and military mindsets.

Top Bottom