What's new

Blade Wars: Gillette Nacet vs. Polsilver Super Iridium

I think these blades have one or two more good shaves in them. If the slight irritation I got today gets worse, I'll call it. Do you have a guess which blade is which?

From my own experience with these 2 blades the winner was Polsilver for me. I would still recommend the nacets also though. Gillette rubie platinum plus are another blade in the same class. YMMV

I love Silver Blues, too. I intend to use them in a future blade war. I'll have to come up with a suitable rival - maybe Voskhod...

Shave #8
Silver =right side, Black=left side
Face lather TOBS St. James cream with Plisson Synthetic

Silver makes a comeback!

Pass 1 &#8 211; Silver was as smooth as silk. The black showed a little tugging and pulling. It does not feel as sharp as it did a couple of shaves ago.

Rinse- There was no discernable difference between the two sides of my face.

Pass 2 &#8 211; Silver: very slight resistance. Black: slight pulling/tugging. The silver was more smooth and comfortable than the black. The shave on both sides is close, with neither side having an edge. Since the silver razor was smoother, I would have to give it the advantage in this round.

Notes: I finished with Old Spice aftershave. There was no stinging. I followed with some Lubriderm Men&#8 217;s 3-in-1 to replace the moisture. This shave has me wondering if the irritation I received from the silver razor is due to excessive pressure on my part. I&#8 217;ll give these blades at least one more shave to see if I can come up with a winner between them.

I love Silver Blues, too. I intend to use them in a future blade war. I'll have to come up with a suitable rival - maybe Voskhod...

I wouldn't even use those two blades in the same sentence. If you want a different but true rival set the GSB against a Feather or a 7 O'Clock Black.

Shave #9
Black=right side, Silver=left side
face lather Proraso Red (tub) with Omega S-Brush

I received a "good-enough-for-work" shave with two passes using very mild razors. These blades are remarkable.

Pass 1 - black: Very, very slight drag as the razor cut right through my stubble. silver: As smooth as glass.

Pass 2 - Black cut right through. I did not notice the wonderful audio feedback that I experienced in earlier shaves. The silver behaved like a polite house guest. It is so smooth and quiet, you wouldn't know it was there.

The outcome is almost identical. The right side of my face is ever so slightly closer than the left. I still feel slight irritation on the right side of my neck. It has been there a while, reminding me that I have been doing a lot of shaving lately. I finished with a liberal splash of Florida Water and manned up by leaving for work without using moisturizer.

Notes: As I prepared to leave the bathroom, I didn't like the looks of my mustache area, so I touched it up with a little brushless cream and a more hefty razor with a fresh blade in it. It felt wonderful, and made me pine for the days when I didn't let blades go so long before I chucked them. It will be difficult for me to choose a winner between these two wonderful blades, but tomorrow I plan to wake up a few minutes early, do a three-pass shave, and choose one. The big loser in this war has been my preconceptions. I thought the Polsilver was going to wipe the floor with the Nacet, and I couldn't have been more wrong. No matter which blade wins the war, it is clear to me that the Nacet is the superior value, as it cost about half as much as the Polsilver and has gone toe-to-toe with it.

Shave # 10 (final shave)
face lather with Soap Commander Courage and Plissoft brush
right side=silver, left side=black

Pass 1 - The silver razor glided like it was on ice skates. Black cut through the hairs, but I could feel the blade and some resistance, particularly in my trouble spots near the side of my mouth and chin. Black's tell-tale audio feedback is still there, but it has decreased significantly.

Pass 2 - Silver is still incredibly smooth. It feels like it is gliding on top of my stubble rather than clipping it off. The black blade feels as if it is getting dull. I can feel resistance.

Pass 3 - Silver: smooth, smooth, smooth - it doesn't feel like it is against my skin. The black blade is dragging. This is the first pass in 10 shaves that I would call uncomfortable.

Finished with Pinaud Spice Islands (I believe the second ingredient is Tobasco sauce,) and Nivea Men's Sensitive Post-Shave Balm.

After three passes, the shave on left side of my face (black) is ever-so-slightly closer than the right. The black blade has degraded more than the silver, and I would not use it again. The silver is still going strong. It doesn't get quite as close as the black, but it seems like it could go for another 10 shaves.

It is very difficult for me to determine which of these blades is superior. At their best, the black gave me closer shaves. The silver was smoother throughout, and had better longevity. If I were using a heftier razor or one with more blade gap, I think the incredible smoothness of silver would have carried the day. I don't normally use a blade for more than three shaves, so silver's remarkable longevity is not as important to me as it may be to others. Black did a better job with the tougher places on my face like the chin, corner of the mouth and mustache area.

So I call the winner with reluctance and reservations: BLACK

THE REVEAL

The Contenders:
$nacet and polsilver.jpg

The Razors:
$Two Lord L6 razors.jpg

The Winner: Black...GILLETTE NACET

Thank you for reading this thread. I hope you enjoyed it.

Top Bottom