What's new

Appreciating a blend after trying something else.

So Been on and off pipes for 5 years. Got back into it more after we first started the Carve your own pipe thread- kind of. It took me a year to kill 50g of Drew Estate Grand Central.

Last May I started working at a smokehouse/microbrew/pub. This January (specifically Robert Burns Day) I found out most of the brewers like pipe but aren't too into it. We did a little baccy swapping and I ended up with a little Dunhill Nightcap.

Now up to this point I have only really tried a blend from the local smokeshop that I ave no idea what was in because it was closed when I went back for more... some GL Pease Union Station, the Drew Estate Meat Pie (which I didn't much care for) and the DE Grand Central.

I first tried the Nightcap after on the walk home from the Wine bar that we had a a gift card to and it was decent. I finished it while the dogs were roaming around the back yard after the April thunderstorm that let allowed us the oppurtunity to enjoy a second bottle of Spanish gernache. I had a second bowl Friday night after a busy dinner service on the drive home.

Now driving to work, stuck in traffic on a Saturday- which makes no sense... I fired up some Meat Pie. Oh man! It was so much more pleasant. Could be it has been sitting in a mason jar and only opened a few times in the past year but it was delightful. It wasn't as piney and leathery. It just helped the traffic as some Chicago and Earth, Wind and Fire played on the radio.

Glad I sat on the Meat Pie and didn't throw it out (I paid for it, I better smoke it or give it to someone to smoke!!!)

So i guess, if you don't like it now, don't be afraid to hang onto it for a year. You may like it then! (Packrat enabler points, yes!)

Exactly! Full Virginia Flake by Samuel Gawith is a prime example. Most don't like it right out of the tin/box. But jar it up and let it sit and everything changes. Even the color changes.

Your experience with Meat Pie is true for me with most lat-heavy blends.. once the Latakia has a year or two to mellow in the jar, it's much more enjoyable to me. Fresh Latakia, especially cyprian, is usually too sharp for my tatse. Also, the EWF probably had something to do with it!

My Lancer Slices when I got it about 2+ years ago was just to sharp. Sat on it (not literally) and now its silky smooth!

Your experience with Meat Pie is true for me with most lat-heavy blends.. once the Latakia has a year or two to mellow in the jar, it's much more enjoyable to me. Fresh Latakia, especially cyprian, is usually too sharp for my tatse.
Same with those heavy perique blends. Telegraph Hill is a different animal after a few years to mellow.

Top Bottom