What's new

Update after ~15 shaves

I'm definitely still on the steep part of the learning curve but it's starting to come together. I really enjoy using the straight and everything about it. I'm getting smooth clean shaves even if not the most comfortable but the irritation is minimal as well. I do still catch myself with the unforgiving corner of the blade drawn not some blood but nothing too deep. I still find myself pulling out the styptic at least once per shave. I'm beginning to find angles and positions that work best for me. I'm generally only able to use the straight 2 or 3 time a week if I'm lucky because I'm very busy at work and because of time finding myself using a DE more often than the straight. Despite all this I am more encouraged now than before and am happily plodding along the course of this journey.

Hi Orlando,
the common saying is that you will need around 100 shaves to get the hang of straight shaving (not to be confused with mastering it).
I am currently at approx. 120 shaves and I noticed a big improvement during the last 2 weeks - seems I am a slow learner.

But I do get nice shaves consistently for some weeks now and irritation is comparable with DE, which means much better than cartridge :=)
I don't have issues with cuts but I right now I can't go ATG which results in not BBS in some areas - I also need to use a DE for small cleanups under my nose..

Regarding the time it takes I need about the same with a straight (2-pass) versus DE (3-pass), this has really improved after about 50 shaves.

So I guess you are on the right track, you will have to go on and see where it leads you :=)

br,
ToM

Indeed many people have cited 30 and 100 shaves as landmarks in progress that's why I'm not discouraged at all after 15 shaves (probably less actually) I'm pretty pleased with my progress. I'm clumsy with the left hand and tend to use it just where I have to but I've had some close comfortable shaves. I'm excited for when I truly have the hang of it.

Things indeed kind of clicked for me at around 30, though since then I have gotten substantially more comfortable and confident, while still respecting the blade (and unlike others I seem to have cut myself more often than usual; always only these tiny paper-cut like cuts, but it took me a while to get through that phase.) I'm probably up close to 180 shaves now, I stopped counting around 50.

While some may object to this suggestion acquiring a cheap shavette might be kind of cool to add to your collection. You can use the DE blades you already have too (cut in half of course). If you find your regular straight needs to be honed the shavette might be a good substitute while it's sent out. And honestly I still find a good shavette shave to be a bit of a guilty pleasure. Also, if you find that your SR is really pulling and tugging stop the shave at once because trying to push ahead with a sub par edge is bad news for your skin.

Outstanding Update Orlando and I agree, things did start really getting good between the 45 and 75 range I would estimate for me personally, I was experimenting with several different kinds, brands and grinds of razors though throughout my learning curve, as well as honing them myself too. But now it is muscle memory and practice and the shaves are the closest and most comfortable I have ever had in my life. I still use DE's and even a Cartridge Razor now and again myself, (Now that I found a Cartridge razor that actually does what it is supposed to do without goring my face LOL)

Keep up the great work and congrats on the progress:thumbup:

Outstanding Update Orlando and I agree, things did start really getting good between the 45 and 75 range I would estimate for me personally, I was experimenting with several different kinds, brands and grinds of razors though throughout my learning curve, as well as honing them myself too. But now it is muscle memory and practice and the shaves are the closest and most comfortable I have ever had in my life. I still use DE's and even a Cartridge Razor now and again myself, (Now that I found a Cartridge razor that actually does what it is supposed to do without goring my face LOL)

Keep up the great work and congrats on the progress:thumbup:

Thanks! I also have some stones and a small collection of razors needing to be honed. I bought a second shave ready razor (a Clauss 6/8 with a noob friendly rounded tip. The square tip of my razor is the main culprit in my nics and cuts. I dropped the clauss while stropping (ironically while thinking to myself "this razor feels so much easier to handle") and ever so slightly bent the edge at the tip. I'm going to send it out to a meister and save my practice to other less worthy razors.

Thanks! I also have some stones and a small collection of razors needing to be honed. I bought a second shave ready razor (a Clauss 6/8 with a noob friendly rounded tip. The square tip of my razor is the main culprit in my nics and cuts. I dropped the clauss while stropping (ironically while thinking to myself "this razor feels so much easier to handle") and ever so slightly bent the edge at the tip. I'm going to send it out to a meister and save my practice to other less worthy razors.

Oh No!! That is no fun at all, I have only dropped one myself and it got a nasty chip in the edge that I ended up having to hone out, it was a long and drawn out process but the blade survived after much attention and work on the stones to shave amazingly afterwards. I know that there are some Superb Razor Repair AND Honing Experts on here that may be able to fix that bugger right up for you for sure depending on how bad the bent portion is. Hopefully it is very small and can simply be carefully ground out. I myself have had some pretty nasty slices along the way, but I learn from each one most definitely that I was doing something wrong and with more and more adjustments the shaves are just superb nowadays :thumbup1: I still get the stinger, nick and red lines now and again but they are far less severe then when I first started up:001_smile

Top Bottom