What's new

Travel strop suggestions?

What do the masses suggest for a travel strop...I am on the 275 days a year and has to be packable in a suitcase that I fly with.

I have had nothing but bad luck using "travel" strops. They are typically 2" or less, and my razors leap from them like lizards. lol I picked up a leather strop case that I put a full size strop in, and then wrap around the perimeter of my suite case.

When I travel - I use paddle strops, or a roll up leather strop. I have no issue stropping anything, including 8/8 wedges, on a 2" wide strop, Works rather well.

Legion

Staff member
I use a roll up kangaroo strop I made. It lives in a plastic box which fits in my Dopp kit, so I don't have to worry about it getting damaged. You can pack a regular strop flat in your suitcase, but I know with my luck, I will have it dented by a button or a zipper, or have some liquid leak on it when the baggage handler walks all over it.

I use a roll up kangaroo strop I made. It lives in a plastic box which fits in my Dopp kit, so I don't have to worry about it getting damaged. You can pack a regular strop flat in your suitcase, but I know with my luck, I will have it dented by a button or a zipper, or have some liquid leak on it when the baggage handler walks all over it.

Hummm the box trick might work...thanks for the tip ,

Legion

Staff member
Hummm the box trick might work...thanks for the tip ,

No worries. Be careful of the strop leather, though. Some leather cannot handle being rolled up, and you will end up damaging the surface and making it corrugated.

No worries. Be careful of the strop leather, though. Some leather cannot handle being rolled up, and you will end up damaging the surface and making it corrugated.

I'm going to ask the stupid question then.....is there a material that works just as good as leather and doesn't cause any storage or rolling issues?

"Just as good?" probably not.

"Probably good enough?" Denim. Not as good but will do in a pinch. Strop on a pair of jeans.

"Just as good?" probably not.

"Probably good enough?" Denim. Not as good but will do in a pinch. Strop on a pair of jeans.
Hummm interesting...that might work too...my wife isn't going to like it but....hahahaha

Top Bottom