What's new

What is your favourite chocolate?

Big fan of dark chocolate.

I would say that so far, it's likely this one.

proxy.php

Zotter. Worked in Austria for awhile. They do amazing things with chocolate.

You can buy it in the US too.

proxy.php

As a Type II diabetic, I have to be very selective about sweets. That being said...

I like the Lindt bars, around 70-80%, without weird spices or fruit added. Just two squares with coffee after supper is enough of a dessert.

For cocoa powder, I like Fry's.
$6000190024297.jpg
The simple recipe for brownies printed on the label is pretty good too.

Surprisingly, the cheaper No-Name Cocoa that I get in my local grocery store doesn't suck. It's also darker than Fry's.
$20066084_front_a01.png
Hershey's cocoa though, is too gritty or something. Very disappointing.

In fact, the only chocolate product that Hershey's is any good at is the syrup, in the little cans.
$hersheys-chocolate-syrup.png
It has the best texture, mouth feel, and flavour of any of them.

A cafe in my town used to serve Chili Chocolate gelato. OMG it was tasty on a summer day. Sadly, they sold the business and the new owners dropped the gelato.

Then there's always "Tuxedo Strawberries", which are selectively dipped in white then dark chocolate.
$chocolate-dipped-strawberries-horiz-640.jpg

There's also a cookie from President's Choice with a dark chocolate coating that i'll have everyday, wish they offered up that chocolate solo.

proxy.php

dave
I just got a box of those yesterday. Great for when you're in more of a cookie mood, but not something loaded with sugar.

For not crazy money Equal Exchange is decent, El Rey and Valrhona arguably a step better. Michael Cluizel is perhaps better yet than those three. If you have really deep pockets I can recommend Rogue Choclatier http://roguechocolatier.com/
I hear good things about Amedei and Dormori but I haven't had either.
Do your homework before buying Mast Brothers.
Green & Black IMO is wretched. I can't get past the gritty texture of Taza.

As a Type II diabetic, I have to be very selective about sweets.

Well, a few things to consider:

Chocolate, especially dark (over 75% cacao) chocolate, doesn't make blood sugar spike, because the fat content slows absorption of the sugar considerably. That's if chocolate is eaten in moderation (1/3 to 1/2 bar). The anti-oxidants in cocoa are of benefit to diabetics. Best would be to eat just cacao nibs, but that's pretty hardcore.

I have found one chocolate that contains 50% cacao (barely a dark chocolate) and no sugar (just mannitol and inulin) that tastes okay. It might be a good option for those who hate dark chocolate and who need to be careful with carb intake. There is also a version with almonds.

proxy.php

If you ever get to San Francisco check out Seakors deli , lots of Russian chocolates ,vino from Moldova , Belarus , Bulgaria etc... http://seakordeli.com/index.php

Seakor deli is great for sausages. If you visit them just down the street is the Russian Orthodox Church. If you can visit the Church as St. John Malkovich (sp) is there, the oil from him helps cure illnesses. A lot of pilgrims from around the World visit. Sorry for the advertising but so many people have no knowledge he is there and miss him.

Now back to chocolate, I am a fan of See's polar bear paws. When I walk into their store the women just ask how many I want!

Seakor deli is great for sausages. If you visit them just down the street is the Russian Orthodox Church. If you can visit the Church as St. John Malkovich (sp) is there, the oil from him helps cure illnesses. A lot of pilgrims from around the World visit. Sorry for the advertising but so many people have no knowledge he is there and miss him.

Now back to chocolate, I am a fan of See's polar bear paws. When I walk into their store the women just ask how many I want!
Yes!....head west on Geary to the Russian Orthodox church , they have a small boutique there that sells fantastic hand made incense and traditional icons.

Top Bottom