What's new

Do all leather strops sound the same?

Curious...when stropping a razor on leather does the "sound" always stay the same even if the leather is different? Is there always sound or not?

Different strops, different razors, different hands...different sounds. Whether one notes the difference or not is dependent on the acuity of the listener. The sound even changes during each stropping session.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Hollowgrounds will sound different depending on the leather. Heavy grinds not as much.

Good question. From my experience, there can be a noticeable difference in sonority in switching from one leather type to the other. In seeking loudness, I would rank latigo towards the top of the list, perhaps followed by oil-tanned. In terms of subtle, high-pitched ring slickness, maybe horsehide or shell cordovan. For all-around starters, I would recommend a louder strop with a bit of draw--maybe bridle or Russian leather, or beyond this, something generically vegetable-tanned.

Last edited:
I hear differences between leathers, razors, and linens. I also hear voices: "use me, I'm smoother" or "I'll clean up that bevel better." lol

Top Bottom