What's new

Ok guys BIG FUN question, what got you to be here?

I've always used a DE. I stumbled upon a Tech decades ago, but always used canned foam (aka "goo"). I never had an issue with canned foam/gel, but about two years ago I got this itch to try a brush and mug. I looked online to see what I could learn and found B&B. I fell into the rabbit hole at that point! I'm glad I found B&B as my shaving experience has gone from good to great!

Went to go pick up some more Fusion 5 carts as usual, noticed the price went up, a lot! I never really like them anyways, would get 2 shaves out of them and would have to pitch them as they'd get gunked up with my hair, so I was only shaving twice a week (if that). Looking back, spending $30/month for just the carts that would slice up my face was madness.

Was done with that, and since I've never been really able to use an electric (feels like it was pulling them out rather than cutting them, my beard is thick and wiry) I was looking for other alternatives, which lead me here.

I came across the site while doing research in order to sell my grandfather's safety razors. That ended up not happening.

Did some research on how to get better shaves. Came across B&B and decided to give it a try. Bought a EJ D89 and some TOBS and now I'm hooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A buddy at work was talking up the Dollar Shave Club. That got me thinking about the Slim that I shaved with as a teenager. A search for that Slim came up empty, though I'm still convinced its around somewhere. I started doing research and watched the Art of Manliness videos. Eventually the path led to this place and I've been here ever since.

Two things, I can't remember which was first:

1). Conversation with a friend who was laughing like crazy when talking about how cheap DE blades are.
2). Googled solutions for ingrown hairs. which led me here. Soon I had a Wieshi, followed by my Grandfather's old Gillette.

Surfing for a new soap, landed here. Before, Williams, a Mowhawk boar, and and old SS or Mach 3 was all I had. Now I have way too much of everything, but enjoying every shave.

The cost of those Gillette carts - they always clogged and last for three shaves , ingrown hairs , and while searching the web for a solution I came across a Lifehacker article. Since then I have never looked back.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
History . Trying to find what my Father grew up using.:thumbup: You Should have asked what keeps you here also:thumbup:

35 years of shaves that left me looking like Freddy Krueger, Every Time........Fell into the B&B rabbit hole.... :thumbup:

:gun_bandana:............................................................................................................................:badger:

I had been growing my beard for a while and some of the websites for beard stuff I was looking at also had DE shaving gear. I didn't even know this stuff still existed, I thought it all became obsolete when the cartridge systems came out. I never enjoyed cartridge shaving and would only shave when I had to, so when I got rid of the beard I decided to give DE shaving a go.

Needless to say, I have not looked back since. Took a little while to get the hang of it, but I now enjoy shaving and shave every day - irritation free! Happy days :001_smile

I was tired of cartridges clogging and going dull halfway through a shave. I was also disappointed with cartridges not being able to handle more than a few day's growth. Thankfully Mr. Schick got the idea rolling for the Schick Injector, because that's been my favorite razor for 5 years since I got my first, which happened to be a Type D. I have others, but the Type D Injector is still my #1. Single edge is best edge!

Carts were causing me massive irritation and bumps. Some research led me to proper wet shaving and I really was drawn to the luxurious aspect ever since!

Ditto, plus I found my Dad's old brass shaving brush after he died. That really kicked me into gear. Haven't looked back since.

Ingrown hairs, razor bumps, I could only shave about twice or maybe three times a week. The two blade razors kept on getting duller and duller each year. And I had decided to just give up and grow a beard. But I read an article about DE shaving and it caught my attention. I began my own research and ultimately got a vintage razor from an antique store. I started shaving and soon found this site. I got three more razors from friends and co workers. And before long I had full blown RAD,SAD, and FAD. I now have just over 100 razors. And I have been shaving every day since starting. I didn't get bitten by BAD, but there is still time for it to kick in.
I have enough supplies to last many years at this point. And I don't buy every razor I see anymore. I look for ones that I don't have or ones that are in better condition than what I have. I give away razors pretty regularly now and PIF some as well. I enjoy the satisfaction of finding the crusty old junk razors and bringing them back to life.

I use blades way longer than most people and toss them when the shave doesn't last long enough before stubble returns. I use fragrance every day whether I need it or not. And stubble does not last more than a couple of hours on my face now. I shave it off every chance I get. My wife thinks I am nuts, as do my two daughters, because I'm obsessed with BBS faces, and shaving is my hobby. So I am just your average B&B member I guess!:thumbup:

Hi,

I had been using DEs and straights for 37 years, and was content.

But, then I had to work away from home for a while. I did not want to take razors from home to an apartment. I wanted another set so I could fly back and forth empty handed. I was using a NEW LC and an Old Type Thin Cap for DEs. So, I bought another one of each from eBay.

But, they were different. Had to do some research into why. Found out the why here. The OT was a Thick Cap. The NEW was a British Raised Flat Bottom. I then found out about Slants, which I had never heard of before. Especially Solingen made Slants. Especially Fasan DoubleSlants.

Eventually the job away from home ended. I passed on the extra razors. Kept the Fasan. And, I am Still Here. :)

Stan

Top Bottom