What's new

Ebonite Redux

Very nice! I use and (love using) ebonite to turn pens (and of course, razor handles can be turned). I use mainly German or Japanese ebonite rod; it turns and finishes beautifully. As one of the posters noted it is warmer" than acrylic, polyresin, alumilite, etc.. This is due to its rubber qualities (it is used for bowling balls).

Thank you for sharing the pics!

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Very nice! I use and (love using) ebonite to turn pens (and of course, razor handles can be turned). I use mainly German or Japanese ebonite rod; it turns and finishes beautifully. As one of the posters noted it is warmer" than acrylic, polyresin, alumilite, etc.. This is due to its rubber qualities (it is used for bowling balls).

Thank you for sharing the pics!

We've used both German and Japanese Ebonite. The German material is quite a bit more expensive, but we prefer it.

I do seek the German material first for the same reasons you do. I can't always find it in the colors that my customer want. You inspired me to search for more sources.

Stunning work. I hope someday to pay enough attention and the correct time to obtain a Paladin brush. As to the Ebonite, very fascinating material with a long history.... very cool.

So if you drop one, what happens?

I shudder to think of it, but inquiring minds want to know.
Have you tried doing drop tests or shock tests Ken of a resin handle compared to an ebonite handle?

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
So if you drop one, what happens?

I shudder to think of it, but inquiring minds want to know.
Have you tried doing drop tests or shock tests Ken of a resin handle compared to an ebonite handle?

We have a concrete patio below a second floor deck. We lofted one up a about 5' from the height of the deck railing. It landed on the concrete from a fall of I'd guess about 20'. Small bounce. Very shallow surface scuff, which we probably could have polished out.

Polyester resin would have shattered.

I shake my PK-47 (ebonite) over the bathtub every time I use it. I've been doing so for over a year now. I lost a grip on it a few weeks ago and it went flying into the tub, bouncing around and creating quite a racket. I blurted some choice words, as is customary when I screw up, causing my wife to think I'd caused injury to myself or something worse. The brush finally came to a rest, settling by the drain like a roulette wheel. I picked it up to inspect for damage, concerned I had caused irreparable damage to the handle, when it occurred to me that they make bowling balls out of this stuff. A bathtub being rather smooth, the handle was fine. Knot survived as well.

We have a concrete patio below a second floor deck. We lofted one up a about 5' from the height of the deck railing. It landed on the concrete from a fall of I'd guess about 20'. Small bounce. Very shallow surface scuff, which we probably could have polished out.

Polyester resin would have shattered.
:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Please Ken!

After I got my breathing and heart going again I thank you for the effort of testing the material. I would kindly ask you to use the spoiler function of B&B if you post things like this in the future... :laugh:

I will now perform my daily shave with my 24mm Ebonite Falstaff with the new knot. From today I have changed my routine and will never again shake any brush to get rid of excess water, I will gently squeeze it instead. I have 20+ polyester resin handled brushes in my rotation but I have never considered how fragile they really are!

$Paladins6.jpg

Last edited:
I dropped by Ken's to return a couple of razors he had loaned me. It's impressive how much Ken and company get done. Two weeks ago they had some raw ebonite stock. A couple of days later he started this thread. Now they have ~15 ebonite handles almost finished, with another half dozen or so in less than finished condition. Unlike ebonite 1.0, which had (I think) just 4 color patterns, this latest batch has a a much wider variety. It's going to be exciting to see what some of them will look like.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Easing back into this stuff. Still don't have the new dust collection system installed. More on that later.

Here are some photos of an Ebonite Moe in the works for a friend in Georgia who urged us to study the Simpson Eagle and provided a couple excellent examples. The four with black backgrounds were taken of the handle as it same off the lathe (i.e., not yet sanded).

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Easing back into this stuff. Still don't have the new dust collection system installed. More on that later.

Here are some photos of an Ebonite Moe in the works for a friend in Georgia who urged us to study the Simpson Eagle and provided a couple excellent examples. The four with black backgrounds were taken of the handle as it same off the lathe (i.e., not yet sanded).

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Looks amazing, Ken!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I saw this post I thought it was about bowling balls. That levity aside, those are some beauts there! Nicely done indeed.

Top Bottom