What's new

Old Spice Shaving Cream review

I got a tube of Old Spice Shaving Cream (http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/old-spice-original-shaving-cream-70g-tube/) from Maggards, and I have used it twice. I've always just used Barbasol in a can, and this is also my first time using a brush (http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/omega-s10108-s-brush-synthetic-boar-shaving-brush-red-handle/) for shaving cream.

In any case, I put a small amount in a bowl, added a little water, and used the brush to build lather. It took a little more water than I had expected to get a decent lather, but it wasn't difficult to do.

Oddly enough, the scent is extremely mild with this shaving cream. I use Old Spice aftershave, and really expected to notice the smell. The cream does have the same scent, but I really had to sniff in order to smell it. That is a bit of a letdown, but certainly doesn't affect the performance of the cream.

After applying the cream to my face with the brush and shaving (I have a Van der Hagen/Weishi with Astra Super Platinum blades), I got a very nice shave. It took less passes and cut much closer than when I used Barbasol. I really didn't expect a huge difference, but I am happy to report that this cream works much better. I got a good shave with less passes of the razor.

I have bought a pair of OS shaving cream tubes from Evellene International through Amazon, and tested it this morning. The smell is not only very faint, but reminiscent of the Made in England for Plisson shaving cream, rebranded for the Auchan supermarket. It smells a bit on the cheap rose scents, nothing very manly!... But the lather is very thick and protective, and really worth the try.

FYI-That is the P&G cream, not the original Shulton. The Shulton that is left had a solid red color.

Good review!

proxy.php

I've been looking locally for old spice products, but can't really find anything of note. I'll have to look online, I guess. Thanks for the review.

A lot of people buy the OS cream from India expecting it to smell like the classic AS, which it does not. If you are expecting some average-performing cream with very little scent in a small tube that is convenient for home or away, then you will be pleased with the purchase, especially at the reasonable price. If you are expecting some classic long-lost Shulton scent, you will be disappointed.

Found the P&G OS product at an Indian grocer but had not tried it. Lathered up last night and was not impressed.
I like Arko stick quite a bit and it is hard to beat. The OS smell was very faint, the lather thin. There are several
brands to be had in food stores specific to ethnic markets. I think I tried something from Gooley (?). Indian product.
And I have one more cream to try.

To be fair, I find most creams too thin for me. I'll plop a dollop of this on a soap cake and see if that thickens it up enough.
Somebody will like it.... every pot has a lid.

I order the Old Spice regular, lime and musk creams from India a few months ago, and you can barely tell the difference. The packaging has changed and I'm guessing the formula has, too. The packaging change occurred a year or two ago. Note the difference in the boxes from this seller on Ebay. The top photo is the older box. Despite the description, I don't think that either one is produced by Shulton. Maybe the older boxes were at one time, but I doubt very much that they have that in stock.

proxy.php

Top Bottom