What's new

Kent V7 brush restore

sorry no pics at the moment

Im repairing my fathers kent v7 brush and am wonding if anyone has restored one before (cant see from searching)
and although ive browsed the amazing buterscotch thread i cant seem to find the info i am looking for...

I would like to find out what the original height of the knot would be (loft?)
Ive got a wonderful TGN 21mm Best waiting to go in and its currently in the steamer to de-knot the original, but its lost so many of its original hairs that height is something that i thought i would ask.

Many thanks./

Well knot is out - steaming did NOT work - so the wonderful smell of slightly heated badger and horseglue pervades my kitchen where i dremeled out the knot carefully - although in hindsite i should have taped the edges of the handle where the skittering drill seem to love jumping too. The knot remains came quite easily after some light bnut not too deep drilling along with some judicious precussive maintance with a chisel and my palm as the hammer. Low and behold a nearly clean base, which i will clean some more tomorrow.

It seems as if the glue space undercuts the top part of the handle which is interesting -but i doubt ill excavate it as it seems unnessessary.

I have a V4, 5, 6,and 10 but no 7. The lofts on these old Kent brushes was usually between 45 and 55mm depending on the knot diameter. I would let the replacement knot's characteristics be your guidance though as if the loft is set too high or low the brush won't be enjoyable, even if it is close to the original.

from the readings from this forum and elsewhere i saw that 1/2 the knot diamet is suggested .
The TGn knot is 21mm wide and 59mm high (above glue)
so 11mm inset depth?
the measured original depth is 12mm which Plus glue is night on spot on.

Setting the loft at two times the diameter is often suggested and might work very well. However, you might find that you like a different loft. You can try setting temporary lofts and dial in your preference.

Also, the original knots on the Kent V series were fantastic. They were packed with soft tipped, thick shaft hairs. The loft on the V7 and lower numbers was higher than two times, but they retain great backbone. The original loft on the V7 is over 50mm, but this loft on the 21mm TGN would probably not have the backbone of the original.

Oh, and need pictures!

Yes pictures are being captured on my fruit device. ive reamed the hole well now so its coming along well - doing some reading as to how best to give it some shine without taking away the patina.

re the backbone - setting it lower would increase the backbone somewhat, but im hesitant to disturb the original depth atm.

Nice to see something on the V7. I have grown to love mine. I will be following to see how yours turns out. Got curious and measured. The loft on mine is just above 50mm as Mr Bob said. It too will need the inevitable re-knot someday as what I originally thought was shedding is actually hairs breaking from being dry. I believe the use of tallow soap has slowed this a bit however its only a matter of time.

It would be highly recommended to set the knot with silicon instead of epoxy so you can easily pull the knot back out and try different lofts. Once you land on the loft that YOU LIKE BEST, pull the knot out one more time and set it with epoxy.

I realise i have been remis in uploading pics - overall it went well - i did use a tempory epoxy thing to test height, but it was white so theres a tiny bit of residue stuck in the bristles which is annoying. Finally fixed with some gorilla glue. Bristles were a job to get out due to there being a recessed lip inside the hole. She is now a lather monster and holds a crazy ammount. $IMG_3863.jpg$IMG_3865.jpg$IMG_3867.jpg$IMG_3869.jpg

Attachments

• $IMG_3875.jpg
    $IMG_3875.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
thanks - i havnt polished it yet - maybe ill find some of the stuff others use but not seen it here in the UK yet.

By the way, take it easy with the polish. That type of patina on a Kent can be damaged it you're not careful. I know from experience. :sad:

Top Bottom