What's new

3 Recent Restores

Finally got around to getting pics of these three restores I recently finished.

The first is an EverReady 100T. Set with a VS 19mm boar.
$EverReady 100T.jpg

The next is a Rubberset 303. Set with a VS 20mm boar.
$Rubberset_303.jpg

The last is a wooden handle I found locally for a couple bucks. Still haven't found out exactly what make or model it is. The original know didn't seem to be set in rubber, but set in a really crusty glue-like substance that came out with ease with a few good tugs. It is set with a 19mm VS boar as well.
$WoodBrush.jpg

After using these for a bit, I have really started liking the smaller VS boar knots more and more. They are little lather machines and are easy to maneuver around the face. Haven't had any shedding issues and as usual, the VS knots don't come with really any funky smell at all.

Yea, I've found the VS boars break in pretty darn nicely. One thing I do like quite a bit about them is that they do not come with the typical funky smell that I have smelled in other knots and are scary affordable. The 19mm knots were less than $5 delivered.

In comparison to the Omega '49. I would say that they are softer from the start and break in a bit faster. The density is pretty close, if not equal to the Omega knot. The size difference doesn't really seem to play into it as much as I thought it would in face lathering. Where you make little circles with the omega, you make slightly larger circles with the VS knots. I do have to say though, The smaller brushes are easier to load in a mug.

Sweet! I'll try to get one thrown in with my next Aliexpress order. Great to see that VS knot quality extends to boars as well.

Yea, I've found the VS boars break in pretty darn nicely. One thing I do like quite a bit about them is that they do not come with the typical funky smell that I have smelled in other knots and are scary affordable. The 19mm knots were less than $5 delivered.

In comparison to the Omega '49. I would say that they are softer from the start and break in a bit faster. The density is pretty close, if not equal to the Omega knot. The size difference doesn't really seem to play into it as much as I thought it would in face lathering. Where you make little circles with the omega, you make slightly larger circles with the VS knots. I do have to say though, The smaller brushes are easier to load in a mug.
+1 Here is my first VS boar, a 19mm that I put in this Strong Set handle that I stripped and re-painted. This knot broke in quite quickly and is an excellent performer; very comparable to my Omega boars. While I have a number of quality badger knots, I do like boar as well, and this VS knot is right in there, quality-wise, with any of my other boar brushes.

$IMG_5788.jpg

+1 Here is my first VS boar, a 19mm that I put in this Strong Set handle that I stripped and re-painted. This knot broke in quite quickly and is an excellent performer; very comparable to my Omega boars. While I have a number of quality badger knots, I do like boar as well, and this VS knot is right in there, quality-wise, with any of my other boar brushes.

View attachment 654178

Now that is a gorgeous brush!! Why type of paint did you use to refinish the handle?

Now that is a gorgeous brush!! Why type of paint did you use to refinish the handle?

I just used garden variety Krylon spray enamel; several coats, and then finished it with a coat of Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic. I'm not sure about long term durability in the wet shaving environment, but we shall see.

Top Bottom