What's new

Is this a shaving brush?

I picked this up at an antique shop today it was labeled as a shaving brush. I included the black tip I also picked up for scale. The diameter certainly seems right, but it is kind of an odd handle that wont stand on end. the knot just seems so short. It doesn't seem worn off maybe it was trimmed up? The handle reads bristle and horsehair 5066A. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• $DSCF8864.jpg
    $DSCF8864.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 178
  • $DSCF8865.jpg
    $DSCF8865.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 177
That looks like a neck duster. A brush that barbers used to use to apply talc to the neck after a haircut.
Thanks. That makes total sense. I didn't think it was a shaving brush, but though it had a nice look and was cheap enough for decoration if nothing else.

There are a few of those where I work that were parts brushes.
Thanks! What line of work are you in, and what parts would be cleaned with it? It dose feel pretty stiff and I wondered if it may be for cleaning something.

I also used brushes that looked like that for cleaning parts. That was when I was an auto mechanic. I cleaned all sorts of parts. I had one that I used exclusively for cleaning battery terminals.

Thanks! What line of work are you in, and what parts would be cleaned with it? It dose feel pretty stiff and I wondered if it may be for cleaning something.

I design, layout and build tubing for instrumentation, oil and gas seals and, control reference lines,etc... on Dresser Rand oil and gas compressors.
I don't know what they were originally gotten for, but there were some when I started there and they were used just for cleaning general small parts we had. Some of the older guys had had them, I haven't seen any new come in since I started there 4 years ago.

I've know those as stencil and/or stippling brushes.

$1895-6-500x500.jpg
You would load them with just a bit of paint or ink, and then tap the paper/wall/canvas vertically, with just the tips, repeatedly.
No dragging the brush. They're very stiff, compared to most paint brushes, and certainly much stiffer than shaving brushes.

The smaller brushes don't have the narrow shoulder above the ferrule.

$swirling-stencilling-technique.jpg

Top Bottom