What's new

Boar knots

Hey guys, picked up a couple brushes yesterday, I'm thinking boar in both (already have 2 badgers). Any recommendations for boar knots? I was thinking TGN, but if I should try something else, I want to.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would try an Omega boar knot. It is very easy to remove the knot from a donor brush, and the knots are very good quality. No sense in using an unknown vendor when Omega makes quality brushes and knots. Here is a restoration I did with an Omega knot. I documented the knot removal process step by step with pictures. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...rt-2-Now-with-Boar-and-a-Made-Rite?highlight=

That seems like a great idea! I'll consider it, thanks!

That red and white handle is begging to be made into a synthetic ... plenty of good knots to choose from there.

Alright, as I'm the most impatient person ever - I ordered 2 TGN Boars today. I'm thinking that the black and yellow handle and my repaired Ever-ready will take the knots. If the repair doesn't last, then it may transplant into the Red and white, otherwise it's gonna get a maggard synthetic.

The three handles free of their knots
proxy.php

The repair seems pretty stable for this ever-ready
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great looking handles there! Careful with that C40, once you get a little deeper, there really isn't a knot shelf and the handle is completely hollow below the glue.

Great looking handles there! Careful with that C40, once you get a little deeper, there really isn't a knot shelf and the handle is completely hollow below the glue.

Thanks, I expected it, felt pretty hollow. I think I'm gonna fill it to add some weight anyway

Thanks, I expected it, felt pretty hollow. I think I'm gonna fill it to add some weight anyway

I did that to a C40 as well. I would recommend placing the weight towards the knot end of the brush. The one I did I put the weight in the red part of the handle and it is a little top heavy and has issues standing upright in the brush stand.

I did that to a C40 as well. I would recommend placing the weight towards the knot end of the brush. The one I did I put the weight in the red part of the handle and it is a little top heavy and has issues standing upright in the brush stand.

Good tip, with how bulbous it is, that would be a problem, hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Fill it with EPOXY.. But be careful only FILL IT a 1/4 At a Time. SO it Wont Get hot and MELT the Plastic HANDLE.

So I scrapped the damaged ever-ready, too much flex in the repair. But the C-40 is waiting on a synthetic knot. The third brush however,
proxy.php

Excited to try it out! Also, I ordered some VS horse knots for this guy:
proxy.php

Stunning work thus far and that new one is going to look GREAT no matter what knot you put into it, that amber is off the charts Pristine!:thumbup1:

I love the look of that Solid Set. I restored this very similar Baja handle with the honey colored Lucite base.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I used a VS silvertip knot on this one, though the original was boar. Be sure to show us the finished product on your Solid Set, it should be really sweet.

I love the look of that Solid Set. I restored this very similar Baja handle with the honey colored Lucite base.

I used a VS silvertip knot on this one, though the original was boar. Be sure to show us the finished product on your Solid Set, it should be really sweet.

That Baja is beautiful! Very excited for this solid-set, the wife found it while we were out together, she's way better and picking this stuff out than me!

Still waiting on the knots from VS (just ordered them a couple days ago) but I've palm lathered the boar a couple times and it's starting to soften up. I'm planning on using it today or tomorrow:

proxy.php

Flanked by my two TGN badgers. My brush shelf is growing!

Top Bottom