What's new

Upgrade to Boker

I've been using a Dovo shavette for a month or so. I want to get a Boker. Am I going to notice a difference in the blade between a king cutter and some other 5/8th blade from Boker? I have a goatee, so I'm also considering a 6/8 Elite or Silver Steel since I don't have to worry about how tough areas, such as under my nose or my chin. I'm leaning on getting steel so I don't have to frequently pay for it to be honed. I wouldn't mind getting the King Cutter because it the cheapest one of the SR mentioned, however, I want to make a wise decision. What do you think?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Hiya Neil,

If you want to get into traditional straights you have to be resigned to the fact that you will need to invest in equipment to hone your own. Or have deep pockets to have send out your blades every few weeks/months. The longevity of the edge depends a lot on your shaving, stropping and touch up skills. As a first time straight razor owner your edge may not last past your first shave. Stubborn dogged determination is a prerequisite for this hobby IMO.

I would suggest a vintage shave package from Whippeddog, or a new set up from Superior Shave(free touch ups I think). Before any of that though I would do some research and read some newbie shave journals. Good luck!

I didn't mention it in my initial post, but I have WD straight, as well as the shavette.. I want to buy something new and upgrade from the sight unseen.

I have a Boker King Cutter, Tree Brand and a Silver Steel. The Silver Steel is the way to go. You won't regret it.

I have Boker (Very good razor) along with several other brands and you can get about 60-70 shaves from straight before stropping won't work then you can use a pasted strop on high grit finisher to get you back in track but it will get to a point when the bevel will need to be reset and that's where you will have to decide if you want to send out or get a set of inenexpensive stones, a norton 4/8 combo along with a finisher of choice will carry you a long way but the finisher can cost alittle or alot it depends on what you want. a small coti bout from TSS will work fine but Jarrod has some full size stones that are priced well and will do the job and then you have other choices as well like Apache Strata's, JNAT's, Arkies, etc.... and of course a good quality strop.

These days all the Böker razors are the same given size, just different scales and etching. The one 5/8 from Böker that is different is the Böker Arbilito 5/8 that's thinner and thus lighter. It's a fantastic razor but I'd wait with it if I was you since it isn't the easiest razor to shave with. The Böker Elite is IMHO one of the best 6/8 thumb notch razors sold today. Then again thumb notches isn't for everyone even though I'm a fan. My Elite has horn scales. They look really good but the steel liners of the scales makes it slightly unbalanced. My recommendation is to for the carbon ones.

I really love my Böker Arbilito. It's expensive but if I was to break it is order a new one tomorrow.

Then again is hard to go wrong with any Böker.

I'm still in the learning stage, so I went with the King Cutter. If everything goes well and I figure out a technique that works well for me, I will upgrade. I just got the SR today and I look forward to trying it out. Thanks everyone for your input.

I'm still in the learning stage, so I went with the King Cutter. If everything goes well and I figure out a technique that works well for me, I will upgrade. I just got the SR today and I look forward to trying it out. Thanks everyone for your input.

I like the King Cutter very much, and think you will too.

I have a Boker Tree Brand, Elite, and Silver Steel. All are really nice razors.

I shall humbly suggest the Silver Steel blade is not for the novice; it is a very hollow grind and requires a skilled hand. The Tree Brand is a fine all-around razor...I love the micarta scales. I'm not a huge fan of a 5/8 blade. That's the only drawback. It shall remain a valued member of the team nonetheless. I too really like a thumb notch blade, hence the Elite for me is a keeper. Ironically of all my Bokers this is the one which displays the poorest level of workmanship. Nothing "bad" really, just kind of sloppy in the glue application which fastens the scales to the steel liner and the blade closes a bit off-center. Hardly a deal breaker though.

King Cutter was a good choice. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Last edited:
The first shave went well. I did two passes. I don't feel comfortable going against the grain yet. I cleaned up with my fatboy. I'm very persistant, so I will learn to do it.

I really want an Elite someday, it's a great expression of a Bismarck. Not nearly enough to drop $250 on a new one, though.

I really want an Elite someday, it's a great expression of a Bismarck. Not nearly enough to drop $250 on a new one, though.

The superior shave has the elites at a much better price than $250. One can be had for $200 I believe. I'm a big fan of them and the Jerry Starks razors. Although I don't have either; I see one of the two in my future as soon as I gain some more experience and enough good grace with my wife to spend that kind of cash on a razor.

Edit: I do tend to pull for Jarrod at TSS a lot. I do most of my shopping (which isn't much at all) there and it's always been a great experience with a lot of entertainment within the descriptions. I don't want anyone to think I'm affiliated, but I openly admit to being biased.

Last edited:
Top Bottom