What's new

macdad's Shave Journal

Today's shave:

Razor: Ohio Farmer Straight Razor and Maggard ATT M1 head
Soap: Maggard's London Barbershop
Brush: Maggard 22mm synthetic
Blade: 7 O'Clock SS (8 partial shaves)
Aftershave: Matching aftershave

Best straight shave yet. I only did one pass with the straight. I shaved the entire first pass with it. A very shallow slice on my neck, otherwise it went well. I really need to work on a good way to hold the razor and shave my neck. My upper lip was better today with very little discomfort/tugging in this area. I still get some tugging on my chin. I just need to articulate the razor to match the contour changes. Right now, I have a difficult time getting a close shave on my chin. More practice is needed :)

The DE performed admirably, as always. I am enjoying a nice DFS shave this morning! Off to work :)

Congrats on the SR shaves! You've picked it up pretty quick!

Thanks. I think it is beginners luck at this point. I have a feeling that more blood will be let before I have it all down. That slice on my neck this morning could have been much worse. It was extremely shallow, but easily 0.75" long. That would have been hard to explain to my wife.

I still need to get a truly comfortable first pass out of a straight. I believe it is possible, but I haven't experienced it yet. Practice, practice, practice.

Great progress! I'm still working on getting my neck just right. I'm still not completely used to how I have to contort my face, turn my head, and grip the razor to get the best results I've had yet. You'll get it all down. You're doing great so far!

Today's shave:

Razor: Ohio Farmer Straight Razor and Maggard ATT M1 head
Soap: TTFFC Forged
Blade: 7 O'Clock SS (9 partial shaves)
Aftershave: Dapper Dragon Scale polish unscented

The straight was used for the entire 1st pass again. I am finding a better handhold and approach on my neck. Still need a lot of work in this area. My upper lip is getting better, but the hair is so thick in this area... My chin is getting better, but I am still working on it as well. I can't seem to get a good close 1st pass on my chin.

I then performed the 2nd pass with the straight on my face and my DE on my neck and underchin area. After a second pass on my cheeks with the straight, I definitely have a DFS. My upper lip is almost DFS, but it is a bit spotty.

The Forged soap lathered quickly and performed well. Not the slickest soap I own by any means, but it definitely gets the job done.

From all the journals I've read, you are by no means alone here. The important thing is you recognize you are getting better!:thumbup:

Thanks Dan!

So, I haven't been as active lately... My wife has been sick. We think she had a bad reaction to her Tetanus shot. I have also been working on my new rc helicopter. A little bit of trouble shooting to get it to fly right. Love the challenge!

Today's shave:

Razor: Maggard handle with ATT M1 head and Gold Dollar Straight
Soap: Stirling Mountain Man
Blade: 7 O'Clock SS (10 partial shaves)

Well, I didn't really want to use a straight for an entire pass today. My face, even though I didn't draw blood, had a could little superficial cuts. It was a bit sensitive after the shave, so I wanted to give it a break. However, I really wanted to see how the gold dollar compares after using the razor from Dan for a week now. I would say that the sharpness of the Gold Dollar is pretty darn close. I only shaved on my cheeks and chin, but it did a pretty good job. It could be a little better, but I don't think it was bad.

The rest of the shave was with the DE. This M1 head is just so smooth. It really is a pleasure to shave with.

And the smell of Mountain man is fantastic. It really has grown on me!

Today's shave:

Razor: Maggard handle with ATT M1 head and Gold Dollar Straight #2
Soap: Mama Bear Aromatic Pipe
Blade: 7 O'Clock SS (11 partial shaves)
Aftershave: Thayers WH Unscented

I took the Gold Dollar #2 back to the stones yesterday afternoon. My theory was that the granite I was using with the lapping films was not flat and killing my edge. Since I have received a DMT 8k stone, it was time to give it a shot. I started back on the DMT 1200. I worked the blade until it would catch on my thumb nail for the entire length of the blade. There was a point there it was doing that at the outermost half of the blade, but the inside half (near the heel) was not quite sharp enough. I focused on that area with light passes on the stone, watching the swarf as I went. After another 10 passes or so, it seemed to catch on the thumb nail over the entire length of the blade.

I pulled out my 40x jewelers loupe and checked it out. I also felt to ensure there wasn't a burr on one side or the other. Off to the 8k next. I don't know how many passes on the 8k. Maybe about 30-40. I checked the scratch pattern every 10 strokes or so. Once it looked like I killed all the 1200 grit scratches, I moved on to the Chinese 12k. Probably another 50 passes or so. Same thing for the balsa with CrOx and FeOx. Stropped for 50 laps on the leather strop.

The result: The best straight razor shave yet! It was effortless! With a good stretch on my skin, it took almost zero pressure and shaved cleanly. My chin and upper lip were much easier. I did a full 1st pass with the straight. My cheeks were almost DFS after the first pass!

I have a bit of irritation on the upper lip from an attempted XTG pass with the straight on pass 2.

Overall, a fantastic shave!

Great job on the honing and shave! Doing a little catching up, and you're making wonderful progress. :thumbup:

A sharp blade can make all the difference. Great shave my friend and congratulations on your hone work!:thumbup:

Thanks guys! I will keep working on it.

Once I really get the honing and shaving down, my next step is to clean up a GD and re-scale it. That may be a month or two before I get there. I don't think I will ever do the big mods like some guys do.

Thanks guys! I will keep working on it.

Once I really get the honing and shaving down, my next step is to clean up a GD and re-scale it. That may be a month or two before I get there. I don't think I will ever do the big mods like some guys do.

Never say never. Once you go down this route, you'll think why not go that extra step. Next thing you know you will be a pro restorer. And then all "crappy" eBay/flea market finds look like reno projects.

Never say never. Once you go down this route, you'll think why not go that extra step. Next thing you know you will be a pro restorer. And then all "crappy" eBay/flea market finds look like reno projects.

You are right about that. Usually, when I say never, that means I am already thinking about it!:001_smile

I'm in the middle of my ZY mod. Had a slight setback tonight, but I'll keep at it tomorrow and see if I can't get it squared away. I think you'll like it once you try it.

I'm in the middle of my ZY mod. Had a slight setback tonight, but I'll keep at it tomorrow and see if I can't get it squared away. I think you'll like it once you try it.

Can't wait to see your mod!

Congrats on the sharp blade!! You're making me jealous!

I wouldn't be jealous. I may just have low standards :laugh:

Yesterday's shave:

Razor: Maggard handle with ATT M1 head
Soap: BW Davy Jones
Blade: 7 O'Clock SS (1)
Aftershave: Thayers WH Unscented

Did a DE shave only last night. I had some interviews today for an internal posting. I didn't think it was a good idea to show up with a butchered face! Did a 2 pass shave with a cleanup. Pretty solid DFS shave. I had a little weeper on my RH jawline. It was pretty minor and was done bleeding before I was done shaving. Sometimes these new blades will bite!

I am really enjoying the shaving experience, still. I am so glad that I found this new hobby!

Today's shave:

Razor: Gold Dollar #2 Straight and Maggard handle with ATT M1 head (cleanup only)
Soap: Stirling Spice
Blade: 7 O'Clock SS (2 partial)

Great shave this morning. Best yet with the straight. I did 2 full passes with it. I only used the DE to cleanup my chin a bit after the 2nd pass.

I am a definite DFS on my cheeks, under chin and upper lip! I was actually able to get a good close shave on my upper lip with minimal irritation. The straight definitely shaves close! It was a comfortable shave as well. Almost no tugging. I just have a couple areas that I need to figure out how to pull the skin tight to solve this.

I am learning handholds and directions that work (and don't work). I am feeling improvement on my control and pressure. I need work on a proper handhold and angle of attack on my neck yet. My neck is a little spotty yet.

You are doing so very well and quite quickly at that! :thumbup: Keep it up and the spotty spots will eventually disappear. Enjoy the weekend.

Thanks Dan! It is definitely coming along. Today's shave was even better.

Great shave and read! You're progressing exceptionally well. :thumbup:

Thanks Eric! I can be determined when I want to be :laugh:

Today's shave:

Razor: Gold Dollar #2 Straight and Maggard handle with ATT M1 head (cleanup only)
Soap: The Kraken
Blade: 7 O'Clock SS (3 partial)

Great shave this morning. I did 2 full passes with the straight again. I am really beginning to get more comfortable wielding the straight. I do still struggle with angle, pressure, the whole gambit on my neck. I got a decent shave there, but the adam's apple area is pretty rough yet. I need to get closer there. Still struggling with the handhold on the razor for my neck. It is feeling a bit better, but I need some experimenting yet to really feel comfortable.

After the first pass, my chin was still a bit fuzzy. I went real slow on the second pass on my chin. It was real close to DFS after the second pass. My upper lip is nice and close, but I am still struggling with the right approach on the XTG pass. This has caused a bit of irritation on my lip.

I did a cleanup with the DE, but I really didn't need too. Everything was pretty smooth and 90% of my face was DFS (excluding my neck which is never quite DFS).

Happy Sunday everyone!

You are doing very, very well. Isn't The Kraken a fun soap? I really enjoy it a lot. :thumbup:

Oh yeah, it is one of my favorites! Great smell, great performer, easy to lather...

So after a while, I was looking in the mirror... Lets just say, I missed a couple spots. My adam's apple was worse than I thought, and there was some longer hairs in the transition area between my neck and chin/jawline. This is the same area that I struggled with with a DE. Now I know where I need to focus next!

Today's shave:

Razor: Gold Dollar #3 Straight and Maggard handle with ATT M1 head (cleanup only)
Soap: CF Ghost Town Barber
Blade: 7 O'Clock SS (4 partial)
Aftershave: Thayers unscented WH

I decided to take the Gold Dollar #3 back to the stones. It was not as sharp as the #2 that I have been playing with. I wanted to see if I got lucky with #2 or if I am figuring out the honing process...

Well, I think I am figuring it out. However, I don't think #3 is quite as sharp as #2. It provided a comfortable shave without any tugging. However, I had some hairs that were not cut as closely after the first pass. It was inconsistent. It could very well be my technique is still lacking, or I was looking closer than I usually do. Bottom line, it provided a comfortable shave, but I think there is still room for improvement.

I did a full 2 passes with the straight. I definitely needed some cleanup on the bottom of my chin. I am still struggling getting close enough on my neck, but I do think I was getting a better angle today. I will call that improvement!

I will do another shave with this razor. If the results are the same, I will take it back to the DMT600 and show it what for!

Have a great day, everyone!

Sounds like improvement! Glad the GDs are cutting for you. Every time someone mentions GTB I get antsy to order a tub. Too many things on the wish list

Top Bottom