What's new

New Simpson brush disaster

So I recently posted about how excited I was to get my new Simpson chubby 2 in best.

Alas that ship has sailed.

Moral of the story is: don't let your wife use your brush, get her her own.

Attachments

• $IMG_20160415_164834.jpg
    $IMG_20160415_164834.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 619
  • $IMG_20160415_164854.jpg
    $IMG_20160415_164854.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 622
  • $IMG_20160415_164914.jpg
    $IMG_20160415_164914.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 628
It can be hard, but just keep telling yourself that it is a tool. The business end still looks good :thumbup1:

I am sure some folks will chime in with repair options too, do you have the missing chip?

3 ways to go with this...#1 do an epoxy job,trying to match the color...#2 have Rudy Vey shorten the handle on his lathe ,he did one for me that chipped like that and saved the day...#3..dump the wife ,find women who will finance your shaving addiction..

It can be hard, but just keep telling yourself that it is a tool. The business end still looks good :thumbup1:

I am sure some folks will chime in with repair options too, do you have the missing chip?

I do not have the missing chip. I scoured the bath tub area where she dropped it to no avail. She was shaving her legs. It's probably in the city sewer by now.

You should be able to get pretty close matching the color with some epoxy. Sand and polish and you back in the ball game!

Sorry to see that happen, but a big thank you for the warning. I let my wife use my PJ3 a few times, then I wised up and got an inexpensive synthetic for her. I was thinking of letting her use one of my favorites.....but not now!

3 ways to go with this...#1 do an epoxy job,trying to match the color...#2 have Rudy Vey shorten the handle on his lathe ,he did one for me that chipped like that and saved the day...#3..dump the wife ,find women who will finance your shaving addiction..

I'm not going to repair it. Just feels fake to me if I did. It's got a pretty good crack in it, I don't know if you all can see it in the first photo. No amount of shortening will fix that. I'm too invested in my marriage to bail on her now. Besides she did say "I'll buy you a better brush, I'll do the research."

Any ideas what I can suggest to her?

I'm not going to repair it. Just feels fake to me if I did. It's got a pretty good crack in it, I don't know if you all can see it in the first photo. No amount of shortening will fix that. I'm too invested in my marriage to bail on her now. Besides she did say "I'll buy you a better brush, I'll do the research."

Hmmm...you know someone will be along to recommend a quality (and pricey) replacement. Guilt can be a beautiful thing...:001_rolle

Ouch. Have you filed the divorce paers or are you holding onto this event for when you need some forgiveness?

I had a Duke 3 that flew out of my hand and cracked the handle all up. Replaced it with a faux briar beehive handle from Rudy Vey that I really like. In the case that your wife buys you an upgrade, get another Chubby 2 in Manchurian.

I heard a guy say today that he asked a girl out to dinner 40 years ago and that he is still paying for that dinner. :laugh: I'd send it to Rudy Vey for a new handle. Then buy her a great big synthetic from Italian Barber, kiss her and tell her fugetaboutit.

I had a Duke 3 that flew out of my hand and cracked the handle all up. Replaced it with a faux briar beehive handle from Rudy Vey that I really like. In the case that your wife buys you an upgrade, get another Chubby 2 in Manchurian.

So Manchurian is better than best? What's a great brush a step above my chipped chubby? I was reading that vintage Rooney and Simpson were much higher quality than today's versions. Is this true?

Well...

A Chubby 2 in Manchurian would be nice.

:a2:

If you like the size of the Simpson Chubby 2 ,why not go for another ,but in 2 band Super ??...Manchurian is nice as well,but a little stiffer ,and much longer to break in,plus a little more $$$...If it matters not about the brand ,Shavemac can make a brush to your specs of the highest quality...

That sort of thing is frustrating, but in the end it is only a brush.

It is obviously still usable, test it out and see if it is what you were looking for when you ordered the Chubby. Many people have said that once they have tried a Chubby, they have found their ultimate brush. It may be that your wife needs to order the same brush again.

Top Bottom