What's new

Hair loss

I have a Rooney 1/1 that is 6 to 8 weeks old. I absolutely love the brush, but have noticed that is has started to lose hair. I'd say it probably started a couple of weeks ago. Thus far, it has not lost much: maybe 10 or so strands. Is this normal? I'm not overly concerned, and I think it is normal. I just want to make sure. I'm paranoid that I'm abusing the poor thing.

I had a 1/1 that started shedding like that after about 3 weeks or so. Then it started losing more and more, about 6 per shave at least. I was able to get a replacement from Vintageblades if thats where you got yours.

D

draco880

Is there no easy way to repair this problem, then? I have an older brush that's started shedding like crazy that I'd like to keep if I can.

If its an older brush and has started shedding alot lately, its most likely caused by the breakdown of the glue that was holding it down in the first place. That, or the knot is coming apart slightly. Either way, its up to you to do what you think is best. If it doesnt bother you, I wouldnt worry about it.

I have a Rooney 3/1 that shed a couple of hairs every shave until it lost about 50 hairs, then it stopped completely. It may not have been combed out good, I don't know. Anyway, the 50 hairs made no noticeable difference in the brush's density or usefulness whatsoever. There may be a light on your horizon yet...

I have seen reports of this from various brush makers. Most of these reports are from brushes with dense knots. This could be due to knots not being combed out fully or from the brush not being able to fully dry. If the brush cannot fully dry, the hair can become weak and start to break and fall out.

Most of the reports of dense, yet shedding brushes come from those with only one brush, or those who use said dense brush on a regular basis (no standard brush rotation).

No matter what manufacturer you use, I believe that if the brushes cannot fully dry between uses they will degrade quickly compared to the normal lifecycle of a brush.

I have a Rooney Heritage that every so often will lose hair or two. If the hair starts coming out in clumps, I'd say you have a problem. One or two hairs now and them shouldn't be problem.

Thanks for your replies. I didn't think it was a problem, but I wanted to make sure. I love the brush, and would like for it to last a long time.

Biomesh, I do use it daily. Perhaps I should get another? You know to protect my original investment in a nice brush :001_smile

If you want to test my theory cheaply, then get a boar brush($5-$10) or if you want something a bit nicer get an inexpensive badger brush(tweezerman ~$15 or C&E BBB $35). If you really love the brush though, you can always get the same model, perhaps with a different handle style.

In the end you will at least have a "travel brush".

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have seen reports of this from various brush makers. Most of these reports are from brushes with dense knots. This could be due to knots not being combed out fully or from the brush not being able to fully dry. If the brush cannot fully dry, the hair can become weak and start to break and fall out.

Most of the reports of dense, yet shedding brushes come from those with only one brush, or those who use said dense brush on a regular basis (no standard brush rotation).

No matter what manufacturer you use, I believe that if the brushes cannot fully dry between uses they will degrade quickly compared to the normal lifecycle of a brush.

Good post.

I've always thought rotating brushes to be a good thing, and the one time I didn't/couldn't, I ended up with shedding.

Reading this is making me strongly consider buying a SECOND c&ebbb, and rotating it with my current one. I have "better" brushes, but I always find myself working back to the C&E more than anything and I don't want it to go awry on me by doing something crazy like shedding due to overuse.

Top Bottom