What's new

What is High Mountain Badger?

So as I understand it, different grades of badger come from different parts of the badger... right? So where does "High Mountain come from, or is it actually a different kind of badger from high in the snowy peaks of Nepal... or something?:tongue_sm

So as I understand it, different grades of badger come from different parts of the badger... right? So where does "High Mountain come from, or is it actually a different kind of badger from high in the snowy peaks of Nepal... or something?:tongue_sm
I've always liked the image of a Nepalese badger standing proudly on a mountain peak, its incredibly soft and sleek coat gleaming in the sun, gently ruffled (but not yielding due to its backbone) by the wind blowing through the pass.

Sent from my Moto E LTE using Tapatalk

Over the years I have settled on this story...The super premium badger knots used by Rooney and Simpson were from Badgers harvested in the mountains of Eastern Europe.Unfortunately ,they over harvested ,and decimated the population.Those premium hairs are no longer available but as we all know ,anyone can still use the term "High Mountain White" or even "Manchurian"...You may get an excellent brush ,but don't expect the quality of a top of the line Somerset Simpson or Rooney Finest from years gone by...

If you are talking about the whipped dog high mountain then expect a silver tip that has an exceptional amount of backbone. Soft yet firm great for scrubbing but not scratchy. I don't know about others selling high mountain or high mountain white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its a regular badger, given hiking boots and ruck sac, then embarks on a trek up the tallest mountain in Europe. upon arrival it sits down and rolls a you-know-what, then when very relaxed and finished with snacks an expert badger plucker dressed in a ghillie suit sneaks up behind the now high mountain badger, and attempts to pluck the silver tip bristle. :p

its a regular badger, given hiking boots and ruck sac, then embarks on a trek up the tallest mountain in Europe. upon arrival it sits down and rolls a you-know-what, then when very relaxed and finished with snacks an expert badger plucker dressed in a ghillie suit sneaks up behind the now high mountain badger, and attempts to pluck the silver tip bristle. :p

Yes, I thought that it is now referring exclusively to Badgers harvested in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets

Yes it must be something like that. I actually thought Shiloh might be on to something. They have some crazy good stuff in Nepal.

+1. There are no standards here! Totally depends on the manufacturer.

I asked Whipped Dog on the old BookFace, and the response was along the lines of "I'm pretty sure they all come from china." So, not sure of the badger's origins, or the origins of the hair on the badger... I feel so unsettled about this. I'll buy one anyhow, cuz by most accounts it sounds nice.

Last edited:
I got this elusive "High Mountain Badger" knot from Whipped Dog! Still no idea where it came from, but lets just imagine it was the Matterhorn... First use was today, and this thing is way softer than anything I've ever used (pure, pure, and Boar... so not much experience). I'll give it a week and post somewhere out there in B&B land to make my notes and feelings known.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Good choice on the WD HMB. It has way more backbone than a lot of silvertips and is a great deal. It is a good solid performer, soft while firm, and has become my favorite badger. It is simply an awesome brush.

Mine was up for today's shave. This is a real sleeper knot. It is not the prettiest on the block, but it amazes once you get it wet and lather with it. Also, Larry excels in customer service. This knot is definitely in the "Best Bang for the Buck" category, IMHO.

proxy.php

To those who own a HMB and enjoy it, my suggestion is to get another one from WD in 6-8 months from the time you bought your previous one. As the batches of knots change, the feel to them also changes. They are all excellent but feel different from one to the other. They are still soft, flow thru, leathering properties, water/leather retention and bloom properties are similar but it seems like the backbone and splay is where I see the change, not in a bad way, just different.

This thread is hilarious, someone should sell a sandy crevice brush, the creature heralding from the lowliest of places, maybe found dead near a sod house, packaged in mud and consisting of a half-dozen or so hairs. "brush made only from the most resilient strands, $110.00"

Top Bottom